Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sharing an odd experience.  (Read 1333 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Sharing an odd experience.
« on: September 24, 2016, 10:49:08 pm »

So, this isn't really anything big. I just had a really odd experience recently and it dosent really have context that i could tell it to anyone but i wanted to share it because it was so odd and novel. So, yeah. I'm gonna write it out here then.

Anyways, I had just been up for around 30 hours this friday. I woke up at 6, classes till 3, exam at 4 - 6, work 7 - 3 AM, chem homework and essay till 8ish, submitted things for scholarships n stuff to meet deadlines until like, 11. Went home and finally went to sleep. Slept ~6 hours, woke up and made food, went back to bed, slept around another 4 hours.

I don't know if any of that is connected, but thats the context in which it happened.

Anyways, at the end of that 4 hours I started awake. I wasn't scared, I hadn't been having a nightmare or anything, ((I actualy remember distinctly what I had been dreaming about)) but my heart was beating like crazy. I got my bearings after a second, but i still had sleep paralysis so i couldn't move except my eyes. I first I was calm, but then i got really scared because i could hear really heavy ragged breathing, and i thought that someone else was in my apartment with me. (I live alone) I kept trying to roll my head over and look into the room, but i couldn't from the sleep paralysis. Then, after another second i realised that it was MY breathing. I took a deep breath, and it felt like i was matching my breathing to the pace of the breathing i could hear, and then i managed to bring it back down to a normal pattern. My heart rate went back down, and after a few minutes, the sleep paralysis went away and I got up. I checked the locks on my door and found my keys where i had left them, because the feeling that something was in my apartment was so strong that it had stuck with me, and despite rationalization i had to reassure my subconscious fears. Anyways, thats it. I splashed some water on my face, went to campus, and now i'm posting this from the library.

I wanted to share this because, one; writing it out helps me analyse what happened, and two; It was an incredibly novel experience. It was, at the same time both very concrete and visceral in the burst of emotion and fear, yet at the same time very abstract in my dissonance from my actual action, and my immobilisation which removed me to some degree from the events. I feel like this is the kind of thing that ghost stories come from. Also, i'm a little concerned as to why this happened. Why would my body suddenly freak out like that? What would have precipitated that?

Anyways, I wrote it all out now, so i feel a little better. I guess im gonna post it too, since it's already all written. May as well.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing an odd experience.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 10:03:46 am »

i'm a little concerned as to why this happened. Why would my body suddenly freak out like that? What would have precipitated that?

Anyways, I had just been up for around 30 hours this friday.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 11:33:25 am »

So, this isn't really anything big. I just had a really odd experience recently and it dosent really have context that i could tell it to anyone but i wanted to share it because it was so odd and novel. So, yeah. I'm gonna write it out here then.

Anyways, I had just been up for around 30 hours this friday. I woke up at 6, classes till 3, exam at 4 - 6, work 7 - 3 AM, chem homework and essay till 8ish, submitted things for scholarships n stuff to meet deadlines until like, 11. Went home and finally went to sleep. Slept ~6 hours, woke up and made food, went back to bed, slept around another 4 hours.

I don't know if any of that is connected, but thats the context in which it happened.

Anyways, at the end of that 4 hours I started awake. I wasn't scared, I hadn't been having a nightmare or anything, ((I actualy remember distinctly what I had been dreaming about)) but my heart was beating like crazy. I got my bearings after a second, but i still had sleep paralysis so i couldn't move except my eyes. I first I was calm, but then i got really scared because i could hear really heavy ragged breathing, and i thought that someone else was in my apartment with me. (I live alone) I kept trying to roll my head over and look into the room, but i couldn't from the sleep paralysis. Then, after another second i realised that it was MY breathing. I took a deep breath, and it felt like i was matching my breathing to the pace of the breathing i could hear, and then i managed to bring it back down to a normal pattern. My heart rate went back down, and after a few minutes, the sleep paralysis went away and I got up. I checked the locks on my door and found my keys where i had left them, because the feeling that something was in my apartment was so strong that it had stuck with me, and despite rationalization i had to reassure my subconscious fears. Anyways, thats it. I splashed some water on my face, went to campus, and now i'm posting this from the library.

I wanted to share this because, one; writing it out helps me analyse what happened, and two; It was an incredibly novel experience. It was, at the same time both very concrete and visceral in the burst of emotion and fear, yet at the same time very abstract in my dissonance from my actual action, and my immobilisation which removed me to some degree from the events. I feel like this is the kind of thing that ghost stories come from. Also, i'm a little concerned as to why this happened. Why would my body suddenly freak out like that? What would have precipitated that?

Anyways, I wrote it all out now, so i feel a little better. I guess im gonna post it too, since it's already all written. May as well.

I actually have something like this semi-regularly. I just get this incredible feeling something is seriously WRONG. Like someone is indeed with me in the room, or other feelings of general wrongness, usually somewhat threatening. Something just screams DANGER, but it is often very vague and afterwards I often don't even remember what was supposed to be the danger.

I usually just get up, go the kitchen to grab a glass of water and by the time I am back I am completely calm again and wondering wtf just happened.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 06:09:40 pm »

I've had sleep paralysis one time and the way I got through it was not being scared. I actually thought I was dead for a second internally, but as I calmed down and accepted my fate (psychologically speaking) I regained control and woke up. It was very, very scary yes.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 09:23:43 pm »

Sleep paralysis can be crazy. I have it a few times a year and am prone to it if I don't get enough sleep. Most of the time I get the impression someone has broken into the place and is in the room out of view, but other times it's been stranger. One time there were loud screeching noises and the sense someone was breathing on the side of my face who said something. Another time I thought I was crushing my dog and I could feel him panicking and bite me before feeling became indistinct as the paralysis faded. Only once did I see anything and it was only an ominous looming shadow. Luckily they don't leave me panicked or paranoid once they pass any more and I haven't had one in a year.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 05:59:18 am »

Yes, sleep paralysis is quite scary and is the second worst thing that can happen in your sleep. (first is a charley horse.)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 02:25:27 pm »

Yes, sleep paralysis is quite scary and is the second worst thing that can happen in your sleep. (first is a charley horse.)
So you are okay with sleep murder, rape, alien abduction, bedwetting, walking, etc.?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 05:32:10 pm »

Well, all I'm trying to say imho on how I cured my sleep paralysis(it only happened once) was just calming down and relaxing, but that is the hardest thing to do(from what I hear from people) when they experience it constantly. Everyone's different and has different coping techniques but mine was this: I got really scared at first, as if I was gonna die-after what seemed like an hour I calmed down and realized it was just sleep paralysis subconciously. So I breathed and said mentally, "I'm going to be okay, this happens to a lot of people too" and then I presumably fell back asleep and woke up later, but the odd thing is I can't remember if I stopped the sleep paralysis and managed to get up, or if I went back to sleep when I calmed down. Just some friendly advice;Take it with a grain of salt.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 10:57:35 pm »

Idk, I actualy get sleep paralysis all the time to the point that by itself it dosent really freak me out anymore. What really threw me this time was the fact that i didn't recognise my own breathing, and the sleep paralysis kinda added on top of that because i couldn't see into the room or have been able to defend myself if someone was in there. Can you imagine if there actualy was someone else there? You just wake up to some guy rifling through your apartment and you can't move or do anything and you don't know what he is doing or if he is gonna hurt you and you just have to sit there hope he dosent cause theres nothing you could do even if he walked right over and grabbed you or something. God.. *shudders*
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Infinityforce

• Bay Watcher
  • NOW I AM ONE WITH THE COSMOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 03:09:38 pm »

Have you tried lucid dreaming, or keeping a dream journal?
It sounds like there was fear, and then the fear went? Or perhaps it didn't belong?

Not to get off topic, but when people did coding or played tetris, they also dreamt of it.
In the same way, if you want to control your dreams you have to bring it into your mind by thinking of it.

Controlling your dreams is a powerful component in the shaping of the subconsious mind.
When we are denied power over our dreams (sleep) we are denied power to our own (resting) psyche.

For example, I often had dreams about Dwarf Fortress back when I was first learning it. That's because I cared about it. My conscious mind kept thinking about it, and it eventually got represented by my subconscious mind, in dreams.
But video games are quite draining to dream and think about (because they require conscious input) but sometimes it feels great to realise that a dream can be controlled while you are in it.

To fight against the laws of dreams, you have to fight against yourself, because the dreams are made from your own mind.
Who can master their thoughts can master their dreams. Who is lost in thoughts is lost in dreams.
Memories and secrets are lost in dreams. Dreams are the fragmented views of the subconscious.
How your subconscious is, that's how your dreams are. However your world is, that's how your subconscious is (usually)
The key step is to take control over your conscious reality by manipulating it to your advantage (using subconscious cues)
That means priming yourself to realise your conscious, waking state all the time, such that you can realise whether you dreaming or not.
If you are beset and overwhelmed by cares in your life, in the world, then your dreams will be the same.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 07:50:52 pm »

*hugs on general principle*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.