Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make ape men and 3 new weapons?  (Read 929 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
How to make ape men and 3 new weapons?
« on: October 02, 2016, 05:09:17 pm »

I want to make ape people, but I am a guy who does not know how to mod well. Could anyone help me?
What I want to do with the ape people:

Chimpanzee men: A species of city-dwellers, the chimpanzee men are violent thieves to basically every race except themselves. They also enslave other races. They use spears, great axes, whips/scourges, bows, and daggers/knives.
Nobles: alpha sovereign (king/queen), beta sovereign (prince/princess), gamma sovereign (lord/lady), greater warmaster (general), warmaster (militia commander), lesser warmaster (militia captain), etc. Religion: Pantheon. Major Spheres: chaos, war, fame, murder, theft, depravity, and deformity.

Gorilla men: An honorable, exceptionally strong race living in forest retreats. Unlike elves, they don't care if you sell them wood. They use maces, mauls, war hammers, morningstars, blowguns, or their powerful wrestling techniques. Nobles: elder chieftain/elder chieftess (king/queen), major chieftain/major chieftess (prince/princess), retreat leader (lord/lady), warchief (general), lieutenant (militia commander), warrior captain (militia captain), etc. Religion: Pantheon. Major Spheres: justice, loyalty, strength, courage, duty, valor, and discipline.

Orangutan men: A people known for being scholars at heart, with a burning curiosity about the world. They wield short swords, scimitars, and a weapon I want to learn to make, the staff (a very long, often wooden but rarely metal, blunt weapon). Nobles: No special names for their nobles. Religion: Pantheon. Major Spheres: dreams, creation, laws, oaths, scholarship, stars, trade, wisdom, writing, and gambling.

Bonobo men: Hard-working and mostly peaceful. Unlike their wild ancestors, they will, though very rarely, fight. Often, they start with diplomacy, but should they fight, they give no mercy. They will use battle axes, picks, and 2 new weapons I also want to make, the sickle (you obviously know about this thing) and the striker's glove (a weapon worn around the hand, increasing a punch's strength; basically brass knuckles in glove form). Nobles: field king/field queen, field heir (prince/princess), peasant lord/peasant lady, high peacekeeper (general), second-in-command peacekeeper (militia commander), peacekeeper (militia captain), etc. Religion: Pantheon. Major Spheres: agriculture, charity, fertility, family, festivals, forgiveness, happiness, love, marriage, lust, labor, hospitality, peace, weather, and healing.

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
Re: How to make ape men and 3 new weapons?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 09:43:44 pm »

What problems are you having?

Also a good place to go is the Dwarf Fortress wiki's modding guide. It's very in depth, and should give you a good idea of what to do.
"Science isn't about why. Science is about WHY NOT?"- Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 09:45:13 pm »

Oh yeah. But do they have a tutorial for making animal men? EDIT: I think I know my problem. I don't know how to make animal men be a legitimate civilization.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 10:06:44 pm by Asin »

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 10:09:13 pm »

Well, you can either; A: make a animal man variation of the creature or B: make an entirely new creature based on that animal.

The latter could be useful, since you seem to plan on making these apes have civs, you can add [PERSONALITY], [PHYS/MENT_ATT_RANGE], and the such. Either one would work though.

Anyhow, the animal man variation basically adds and removes new tokens to a preexisting creature, as well as replacing their original body with a humanoid body. For example, a Brown Recluse Spider goes from a spider body to a six armed humanoid, as well as having [INTELLIGENT] and a bunch of other fluff.

So, if we're making a Gorilla man, then it'd be as easy as this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This raw entry is actually a modified version of the rhesus macaque man's entry.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 10:47:44 pm »

Oh, I see! I made an animal man version of the chimp men by modifying the spider monkey man file, copying it, and pasting it to where chimps usually live. If I decide to make an entirely new creature, it will be a (somewhat) difficult journey. I think I'll start with the animal man version first, but when I become an experienced modder, I'd be able to make my original vision. Yeah, it's probably best for a fledgling modder to start small and save his bigger ambitions for later.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 10:51:19 pm by Asin »

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 07:05:06 pm »

You're very much welcome!

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 07:15:14 pm »

Also this. Say I finished the animal men version. How would I upload it to the forum or DFFD for people to download it?

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 07:35:22 pm »

I honestly have no clue. What I mod into my game is just for my use. I've actually never uploaded anything.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 07:35:56 pm »

Oh. Okay then.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 05:38:55 pm »

To upload to DFFD, just make a free account and click upload. Then you get taken to a page with a bunch of options and a button to choose a file off your computer to upload. You will need to compress the file, however.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 05:40:58 pm »

Oh. Thank you. That'll be useful.