Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: draining the ocean, one frame at a time  (Read 519 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
draining the ocean, one frame at a time
« on: February 07, 2008, 11:03:00 pm »

I decided I needed some power, so I dug a 1-tile-wide channel from the ocean to the aquifer, under the idea that the aquifer would soak up all the water that could fit through that little passage and I could just plop down a couple mills and be in business.  Someone had posted this kind of hack on the forum, for draining the ocean, but instead of a really big hole, I just wanted a pinprick for power.

Sadly, the pinprick appears to still be enough to cause a gigantic sucking sound.  That's the sound of a trillion compute cycles being wasted on computing where the ocean should go.  I'm getting "FPS: 0" -- which looks to be actually about 1-2 minutes per frame.

So... how do I plug that hole back in via a utility?  Assuming I ever get to save, that is.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: draining the ocean, one frame at a time
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 11:11:00 pm »

Lavatile probably doesn't work, but you could try it out by plopping a nice 7/7 tile of lava in your channel. If it works, it will turn into obsidian after being touched by the water.

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 11:59:00 am »

and considering your framerate, and the rate of lava flow, it should be done in a few days!   :p

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 02:57:00 pm »

Oh well; I guess I'm forced to toss that fortress and create a new world with the new version.  Oops.  I had just finished going through the third level of aquifer, and was 85% done connecting to the island across the strait (only about 100 tiles left to bridge from above, though, having gotten through the aquifer, it might have been quicker to dig my way there).