Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cage recycling  (Read 1217 times)

Satyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cage recycling
« on: September 12, 2006, 01:28:00 pm »

I just found a way to transfer a hostile creature from one cage to another, without it running loose in your fortress: just build the two cages directly adjacent to each other and you can savely assign the creature to the new cage, reusing the old one in your traps.

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cage recycling
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 05:48:00 am »

So we're expected to make a frog-hop line of cages in a row to move the creature somewhere safer?

Satyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 11:14:00 am »

Eh, no, you can build occupied cages wherever you like, so transporting isn't the problem. But you generally don't want to waste a cage for every goblin in your fortress, so you might want to collect your goblins all in the same cage*. And this is where your dwarves don't act too clever, as they try to lead the hostile creature from one cage to the other without any kind of rope etc. - leading to the just caught monster running loose again. Unless you build the cages next to each other.

* I just tried to squeeze my forth magma man in a cage and failed. Might be there's a limit of three hostile creatures per cage.

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 09:02:00 pm »

Hi, I've been stalking.

So do you think that *caught hostile creatures could breed like this?  That would be pretty sweet.

[ August 13, 2007: Message edited by: nerdpride ]

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 11:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Satyr:
<STRONG>
* I just tried to squeeze my forth magma man in a cage and failed. Might be there's a limit of three hostile creatures per cage.</STRONG>

I'm pretty sure there is some animal handling skillcheck to safely transfer the creature. If you fail the skillcheck, it runs rampant. Pass the check, it goes into the designated cage.

Not 100% sure on this though.

Gask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 12:13:00 am »

I have had 10 trolls in a cage once, its strange though... I cant seem to get more than 4 goblins in one together.
http://l052.mybrute.com Come and meet my dwarf eating bear

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 01:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by nerdpride:
<STRONG>So do you think that tamed hostile creatures could breed like this?  That would be pretty sweet.</STRONG>

Goblin 1: Owww its cramped in here
Goblin 2: Yeah it is
Goblin 1: Hey, you're female...
Goblin 1: You know, tomorrow we might all be dead.... so why not enjoy it eh?
Goblin 2: *Takes of her xxSmall Shirtxx*
*Dwarf passes, feels sick*
=
Ps-  A tamed hostile creature is an oxymoron...

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 05:04:00 pm »

I use that very thing for taming - I've got a built cage near the kennels, with an animal stockpile designated around it such that the four squares adjacent to the cage are part of the stockpile, and no other squares are. That stockpile accepts only tameable things. So, dwarves automatically drop caged animals next to the taming cage, and when an animal is transferred, they remove the empty cage and bring along another animal-in-a-cage.

In my experience, there's a small (perhaps 25%) chance of an animal escaping when transferred between adjacent cages, but pretty much a 100% chance of an animal or monster escaping if someone tries to drag it somewhere from a non-adjacent cage. There's also a chance of a monster escaping when someone picks up his cage to take it to the trade depot, and another chance to escape when it's deposited at the trade depot. (I gave up on trying that after several ratmen escaped at the trade depot and scared away the elven traders)

I have also seen some goblin thieves who consistantly refuse to try to get free when being dragged from cage to cage. In particular, I had one goblin thief who had a dwarf child in his bag - This particular goblin got dragged from his cage to another one 30 or 40 spaces away, and then dragged back to another cage, and again two or three more times, and he never tried to get away. I can only presume that he was smarter than the rest of the thieves, who were all shot dead before they could get further than one space from their cage. The ones who refused to try to run away, however, were left alone by the marksdwarves.

In the end, I had around four thieves who refused to try to run away, and so I had the dwarves drag them all halfway across the fort and stuff them into a cage which was hooked to a lever, to *force* them to (get killed while trying to) flee custody.

Currently I have 30 or 40 animals in that cage. Gotta get ALL of them stuffed in there before I can safely tame any of them, or I'll wind up with seeds and crap in all my cages again.

[ August 14, 2007: Message edited by: Shadowlord ]

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 07:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Haedrian:
<STRONG>
Ps-  A tamed hostile creature is an oxymoron...</STRONG>

Actually, try capturing an wild elephant that has been named.
Tame it. Release it. Watch everyone suffer.

Damn things arent counted as an enemy since they are tame... but they still thirst for dwarf blood.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 11:02:00 am »

Have you actually seen that happen? Every time I've tamed and released a named elephant, it has run around the fort normally without attacking anyone at all, but the dwarves are all terrified of it and cancel their jobs when they see it, and the marksdwarves will attack it if they see it.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive