Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I couldn't even end my fortress in style  (Read 1000 times)

Mane-Shaker

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP AND TEAR! BIG GUY, BIG GUTS!!!
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt! Yes, I draw!
I couldn't even end my fortress in style
« on: September 10, 2016, 11:08:37 am »

Hello everybody!  :D
I'm not new to DF but I'm new around the community now. And I have a story from my last fort, Goldborn, which was the best fort I ever ever ruled.

Started in an area where I was away from goblins, I wanted to created a place in peace, you see...
So for starters, the damn fortress lasted around 13 or 17 years! Being the only invaders forgotten beasts (around 14), a bronze colossus and two humanoids of two heads.

I started on year 125, and the year 135 was a slaughter fest with a forgotten beasts coming each month, and one time with the bronze colossus appearing at the same time along with one of them.  :o

Sounds normal? What if I tell you they only appeared 2 years after I mined safely the adamantium?  ???

Let's talk about my military...
These guys were a combined force of peasants, mercenary dwarfs and human, which their schedule was nothing more but train EVERYDAY without interruptions, with my "Soundesense" going nuts with the constant sparring, which It crashed 2 times with the overload of sounds.

I LOVE the DF stories and bloodline let's plays, you can tell by the names of the squads.  ;D

Boatmurdered - Adamantium armor (or POWER ARMOR how I called)
Headshoots - Steel Archers
Syrupleaf - Steel Armor
Oilfurnace - Steel Armor
Bravemule- Steel Armor
Bravemule- Steel Archers

These guys (Boatmurdered and Syrupleaf squads) were on f#cking steroids! Of course, with the occasional deaths against the beasts.

Let's get to the point...
So one day I was damn bored and I decided to create a war with the tree huggers elves. So I killed their diplomat who was bitching about cutting the tree, and I killed their merchants, and I let one live so he could tell the horrors and trigger a war.
NOTE: The elves and humans were at war.

1 year since that slaughter. Human caravan and dwarf caravan stopped coming.

Second year. Only the elves were coming, another slaughter and let 1 live to tell...

Third year and I was getting even more bored. Created a copy of the save, retired and went to Legends Mode.
Apparently the elves were the aggressive ones in those lands, and they invaded every human town and the mountainhomes surrendered peacefully without a fight! Pussies...
And SO, the humans, elves and dwarfs there created a new government together, with the elves in the power, explaining why the elf caravan was the only one coming!

This was nuts... with no goblins (my own fault), the elves don't want a war after all the times I killed the merchants and offered wood stuff.  ???

That's It! Time to end with style!   >:(  8)
I ordered all my military to gather in the level were I first found the adamantine. I ordered my miners to dig the hollow spots, and there I learned a new mindblowing lessons.

The hollow space is always 2x2 (should have checked the wiki better), so imagine my face when I was mining EVEN more adamantium! But I was done with this place.

The tunnel is breached... 
Horrifying screams from hell. 
DEMONS FROM THE DEPTHS!   

I look in the unit list... I counted around 79 demons of all kinds.  :o

They charge upstream and my miners somehow escaped in time.
Contact! Boatmurdered and Bravemule (archers) launch the first attacks. The caverns are an ocean of blood, ash and fire. Soldiers burn and die everywhere, limbs flying in the air.
By this point, the others started to come to gather the bodies and armor, only to get killed. (population was 200, turned into 143 with this move).
The demons started going upstairs, but some soldiers were aware of their friends and family in danger, so they ignored the current battle and sprinted upstairs, and going enraged  and in martial trance, they killed the demons!

After three minutes of my SoundSense mod going ape shit, silence ... now It was the sad music when a dead guy is found.

So I look at the squads, and I couldn't believe... 70% of each squad SURVIVED against 79 demons with fire powers and other syndromes!
Not to mention, they were on top of them during the battle, completely surrounded! AND THEY WON!!!  :o

That's It... I looked into the glowing pith... and... there were no more demons... at least until the next in-game time months...
There was no point, they would loose anyway.

Goldborn. The fort that survived forgotten beasts through an entire year with one coming each month (year 135), and survived hell Itself in battle against 79 demons... There was no possible way I could end this fort the way I wanted.

I clicked ESC... and with a salute, I pressed Abandon...  :-[

Farewell Goldborn... you were the best fort I ever ruled during my DF life...  :'(
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:43:24 am by Mane-Shaker »
Evil blood, evil origins... but the heart is not dark.
An unwritten destiny, a long road to walk and choices to make.
Your story, your destiny...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: I couldn't even end my fortress in style
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 02:23:03 pm »

Well. That was fast-paced.

Going to do a new fort in same world?

Mane-Shaker

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP AND TEAR! BIG GUY, BIG GUTS!!!
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt! Yes, I draw!
Re: I couldn't even end my fortress in style
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 02:54:04 pm »

Well. That was fast-paced.

Going to do a new fort in same world?

I know... It's how generally I am when I tell something. But honestly, the fortress was constantly happy, megatons of food and booze. A gorgeous temple, library, etc...
But my "mistake" of going to a place far away from the goblins made It become a bore, even more when the elves refused(?) to declare war on me, not to mention, the forgotten beasts were only one, and once contact was made, It was over before you knew...

And to answer your question. No.
I decided to wait for the next DF version, and luckily along with LNP. I'm not touching the game until then. (besides, I have a college to attend to. xP )
Evil blood, evil origins... but the heart is not dark.
An unwritten destiny, a long road to walk and choices to make.
Your story, your destiny...