Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: StarLords3k -- Rise (and Fall?) of the Yanavo Commune  (Read 1487 times)

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
StarLords3k -- Rise (and Fall?) of the Yanavo Commune
« on: September 25, 2016, 06:11:30 am »

Starlords3k is a space operaesque strategy game set in a galactic empire.  Players start out as minor nobles with two star systems, and then slowly increase in power through acquiring other star systems, building up their economies, making trade deals, vassalizing each other, and going to war.

Recently, a new game has started:  game "Luxuria Avaritiam Optimum".  I thought I'd demonstrate what goes on in this game by posting some screen shots and giving some after action reports as the game progresses.

Joining a new game:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We're given a list of star systems to choose as our homeworld, obviously with randomly generated names.  I decide Yanavo is a good choice, and "Yanavo Commune" has a better sound to it than, say, "Kukdip Collective."  Victory path is important:  what we choose here determines how we get victory points.  Picking "Expansionist" means I must take control of star systems to get victory points.  Lord's trait is a special modifier of some kind; "Negotiator" means I get a +50 bonus when negotiating with independent systems.  I picked that because Expansionist also gives a 20% bonus to negotiating with independents, and I wanted to see if the bonuses stacked and if it would be useful at all.  Technologies is where you pick a starting level in certain technologies.  We're allowed to pick 10 points worth, and I picked Archeology, Shields, Construction, Science, and Craftsmanship.

We start with two star systems, in this case Yanavo, the homeworld, and Lopaz, a less built-up colony.  The systems with the red circle with the bird in it are systems that we are currently not allowed to go to by the empire.  These systems might open up as the game progresses.  The grey systems with the question marks are unexplored.  The inverted triangles signify fleets of mine that have not yet moved.  The tan shield with the red dot is my randomly generated realm insignia, which we will change.  The lines between systems are starlanes -- standard SF fare.

On the right, you can see that Yanavo has an assortment of ships and resources already at start.  Colony fleets are just freighters with different modules aboard, which are pre-fabricated buildings that you can deploy to build that building faster than building it from scratch.  Workers and Nanobits are, along with Credits, the main resources of the game.  Synate is a type of ore, which, along with other ores, can be converted into nanobits at a refinery.

First things first.  We must change our insignia into something more befitting our revolutionary commune, by clicking on the wrench in the upper right.
A proper insignia is important.  I choose something that hopefully suggests Jaunty, Futuristic Crusaders Against Imperialist Galactic Hegemony, rather than God Damned Dirty Space Hippy Pushovers.

Next, we should explore the unexplored systems.  Unexplored systems must be explored by a scout before regular ships can go there.  Luckily, we start with scouts at both of our systems, so it's just a matter of moving them there.

We move a scout to Mitirt, which immediately comes under our control -- unowned systems become yours when you move onto them.  Mitirt is now part of our empire, though empty.  Also, it appears that some raiders have made their home there.  They have 3 freighters and 5 fighters.  If we don't destroy them, they will attack our ships and lower the income and morale of the system.

We move warships there and attack, easily defeating the weak force of raiders.  We then get a popup window:
We get a free diplomat, along with 3 captured freighters full of ore.  (This, by the way, is a standard event that happens to everyone at the beginning of the game.)

We also move a scout to Erine, which turns out to be a colony in rebellion.  I didn't take a screen shot, but we moved a fleet there and captured the rebel colony, gaining a decently built up colony.

The mighty Yanavo Commune, as it currently stands.

Notice that we have more unexplored systems nearby.  We can't explore them yet, because it takes 10 hours for the jumpdrives on the scouts to recharge.  Also, there is something new:  the green system is a star held by the trade guild, where we can buy and sell things.

So what do you think?  Is this the humble beginnings of a galaxy-wide worker's paradise?  Or will the revolution fail, like so many revolutions before it?

mahks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLords3K
Re: StarLords3k -- Rise (and Fall?) of the Yanavo Commune
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 05:30:39 pm »

Looking forward to hearing more

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 04:39:56 am »

We've expanded our territory in the last few days by taking unowned stars.  We have yet to run into another player, and have just been expanding our economy as quickly as possible.  I won't go into the details of that as it probably would not make a very exciting read.

The only other thing of note:
Vemoro is a very weak independent in the middle of our empire.  Even though they've already agreed to become part of our empire, we have decided that it would be more efficient if we destroy them and colonize the star ourselves.  A task force was assembled and sent there.  We attack.

The weak defenders are no match for the task force.

Red, as you've probably guessed, means we're at war.  With their fleet out of the way, all we need to do is bombard the colony's shield, and all the buildings.  I expect this will be done in about 2 cycles.  Then Vemoro becomes part of the Commune.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 09:10:37 am »

I like how the star named "Kukdip", the name you have rejected, now belongs to the trade guild. It sounds like you are trading with some space chickens.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 03:35:54 pm »

So you're Yanavo. Too bad you didn't continue the LP. :)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 04:16:45 am »

Well, there were a couple of reasons for that.

At first, I was getting the impression that no one was reading this.  Also, I was having trouble coming up with a way to describe the early game micromanagement that would be interesting to read about.

Later, when the game began to get very intense, I didn't want to give away free intel to potential enemies.

When I began this, I thought that the game would be much like the first two games I've played of this, which were much more relaxed, and didn't think it would be real important if other players got all kinds of information by reading this.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 02:11:58 pm »

Why did you abdicate BTW? I know Agiran bombed a couple stars, but your situation still looked good.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 03:25:45 am »

Pretty much because of frustration, with the game and with myself for obsessing about the game.  I was thinking about the game constantly.  While at work, everywhere... even laying awake in bed with the game running through my head.  That probably sounds weird, but, yeah, that's pretty much the reason.

This game, it was something about the combination of all the micromanagement that gets you attached to your empire, then all the intense diplomacy with some real characters who end up doing some pretty curious things.  I'll just leave it at that -- more detail than that is probably going to look like some kind of angry rant.   :P