Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SpaceFox not working properly  (Read 3534 times)

Another Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
SpaceFox not working properly
« on: September 10, 2016, 01:21:55 pm »

Sorry if it's wrong place to ask for help, but it seemed to be the best place.

I were using PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.43.03-r04 before and SpaceFox worked fine, then I upgraded to r06 and it started to look like this (used reveal to show it better):

Earlier one had different terrain textures looking as in this picture from SpaceFox thread and some other differences like different dogs, elves are now displaying sideways, some gems just have big + as a texture:

How do I make it look pretty again as it used to do before?

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 01:25:40 pm by Another Cat »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SpaceFox not working properly
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 06:02:49 pm »

Sorry if it's wrong place to ask for help, but it seemed to be the best place.

I were using PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.43.03-r04 before and SpaceFox worked fine, then I upgraded to r06 and it started to look like this (used reveal to show it better):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Earlier one had different terrain textures looking as in this picture from SpaceFox thread and some other differences like different dogs, elves are now displaying sideways, some gems just have big + as a texture:

How do I make it look pretty again as it used to do before?

Thanks for checking this for problems. I just uploaded a new commit to Spacefox. Could you try this and see if it fixes any your issues?:

1. Open the Lazy Newb Pack and switch your graphics to something other than Spacefox.

2. Open this folder - /PE's Starter Pack/LNP/graphics/
3. Rename the "Spacefox" folder to "Spacefox old"

4. Go to the Spacefox repo and click the green "Clone or download" button and download it as a Zip file.
5. Unzip the file.
6. Rename the "Spacefox-master" folder (or whatever it's called) to just "Spacefox"
7. Now install it into your /PE's starter pack/LNP/graphics/ folder

8. In the old version of Spacefox, open the /Spacefox old/raw/objects/ folder.
9. Copy the "plant_crops.txt" and "plant_standard.txt" from the old version into the /Spacefox/raw/objects/ folder of the new version.
   (this makes it compatible with v0.43.03 instead of v0.43.05)

10. Delete or Remove the old "Spacefox old" folder. (so you won't have two Spacefox options in the list)

11. Launch the Lazy Newb Pack and double-click "Spacefox" in the graphics list to reinstall Spacefox into your saves.
12. If you want Text Will Be Text (TWBT), turn it back on (if it was just disabled just now, that is).
13. Launch Dwarf Fortress and see if it looks any better.

Edit: Sorry, just uploaded another commit that will probably fix it for reals.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 06:19:57 pm by jecowa »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 06:48:18 pm »

And about the dogs, dibujor made three sets of cats and dogs for Spacefox.

You can switch between the different dogs by changing some numbers. Options are (from left to right) "21", "22", and "23".
The cat options are "17", "18", and "19", by the way.

Open /Spacefox/raw/objects/graphics_dibujor_domestic.txt

and change this:
[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:DOG]
   [DEFAULT:DIBUJOR_DOMESTIC:
21:5:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [CHILD:DIBUJOR_DOMESTIC:
21:6:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [ANIMATED:DIBUJOR_DOMESTIC:
21:7:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
   !!!!!SKELETON:DIBUJOR_DOMESTIC:
21:8:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
   [TRAINED_HUNTER:DIBUJOR_DOMESTIC:
21:9:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [TRAINED_WAR:DIBUJOR_DOMESTIC:
21:10:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

to this:
[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:DOG]
   [DEFAULT:DIBUJOR_DOMESTIC:
23:5:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [CHILD:DIBUJOR_DOMESTIC:
23:6:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [ANIMATED:DIBUJOR_DOMESTIC:
23:7:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
   !!!!!SKELETON:DIBUJOR_DOMESTIC:
23:8:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton
   [TRAINED_HUNTER:DIBUJOR_DOMESTIC:
23:9:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [TRAINED_WAR:DIBUJOR_DOMESTIC:
23:10:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

Another Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 08:45:09 pm »

About that dog file, I don't have such file there. I found one in \PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.43.03-r06\LNP\graphics\Spacefox\raw\graphics, but changing numbers there didn't work. Didn't find one in new repo either at supposed location.

After following instructions regarding installation of new Spacefox, it doesn't show at all on the list now. Not sure if I did it properly, I will try again later with fresh DF, I might've screwed something, because I'm quite tired atm.

Another Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 12:58:46 pm »

Alright, tried again with fresh DF download and got the same result - game with Spacefox got some weird textures, trying to install new Spacefox doesn't work (new one doesn't show on the list). Not sure if I did point 7 properly though - installation is done just by copying new graphics folder and then refreshing and installing from the list in LNP, right?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 01:54:01 pm »

I'm sorry. I forgot an important step. Drag the manifest.json from the old Spacefox into the updated Spacefox. (Alternatively, you could edit the new manifest.json in a text editor to change the minimum version from v0.43.05 to v0.43.03.)

This will make it show up in the graphics pack list in the Lazy Newb Pack.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 01:57:44 pm by jecowa »

Another Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 03:40:21 pm »

Now it works properly, it's on the list and I see proper textures in game. Is it safe to keep newer version like this without worrying game would screw saved games or something?

World creation screen seems a bit different though so I though it might be worth mentioning, it's not a big deal but maybe it matters - First one is after using new Spacefox with default settings - it got no textures for elves (just those i^s), lower one is using font tileset Spacefox_16x16_0ther.png with 'flipped' elves (I think that's tileset I were using before). I think I had something screwed with my settings anyway because I had to use TWBT_LEGACY before to see any textures at world generation and then switching to TWBT for gameplay. That was even before gameplay textures got weird so I didn't think it mattered. With this new Spacefox I can leave it just TWBT and it shows textures at world generation screen aswell.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 04:37:26 pm »

Now it works properly, it's on the list and I see proper textures in game. Is it safe to keep newer version like this without worrying game would screw saved games or something?

The version on the GitHub is for Dwarf Fortress v0.43.05. To make it completely compatible with Dwarf Fortress v0.43.03, you should replace these 5 files with the old versions:
  • /Spacefox/manifest.json
  • /Spacefox/raw/objects/creature_next_underground.txt
  • /Spacefox/raw/objects/creature_standard.txt
  • /Spacefox/raw/objects/plant_crops.txt
  • /Spacefox/raw/objects/plant_standard.txt

World creation screen seems a bit different though so I though it might be worth mentioning, it's not a big deal but maybe it matters - First one is after using new Spacefox with default settings - it got no textures for elves (just those i^s), lower one is using font tileset Spacefox_16x16_0ther.png with 'flipped' elves (I think that's tileset I were using before).

It would be cool to be able to use graphics for all the map markers, but that's not going to be possible without making text look weird.
I would recommend getting used to the text versions of map markers:

Dwarven Settlements - ΩΩΩ
Elvish Settlements - î¶
Human Settlements - æÆ+*#
Goblin Settlements - ΠΠΠººº
Necromancer Towers - I

More map markers here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Map_legend#Sites

I think I had something screwed with my settings anyway because I had to use TWBT_LEGACY before to see any textures at world generation and then switching to TWBT for gameplay. That was even before gameplay textures got weird so I didn't think it mattered. With this new Spacefox I can leave it just TWBT and it shows textures at world generation screen aswell.

I think TWBT mode makes it so that text tiles have to be the same size as graphics tiles. I'm not really sure why that would fix issues with stuff not appearing.  That's good that normal TWBT is working for you now.

Edit: The previous version of Spacefox included a TWBT settings file that slightly increased the tilesize. Maybe that's what was causing the issue that required TWBT_legacy.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:45:47 pm by jecowa »

Another Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 05:01:40 pm »

Cool :) Thanks for help with all this!