Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to utilize Giant cave spiders?  (Read 3980 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: How to utilize Giant cave spiders?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 05:43:13 pm »

been awhile... but GCS is type 1 building destroyer, right?

artifact anything furniture bait built in the cavens, surrounded by cage traps?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to utilize Giant cave spiders?
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 06:03:36 pm »

I generally capture GCS' by placing a wooden door in the entrance tunnel between the fortress and the cavern. Outside of the door (i.e. on the cavern side) I place an array of cage traps, but I leave the tile two tiles from the door free for a future upgrade where I install a minecart driven menacing spike trap for FB elimination. On each side of these things I have raising drawbridges so I can lock the cavern out with my cage traps blocked so I don't get them clogged with unwanted cavern critters, as well as lock the inside so critters can go for the bait door without the risk of critters filling the cage traps and get in, and both to keep an FB in place to let the spikes deal with it.

I wouldn't bother with artifact furniture, as my baits are expendable: just make sure the door isn't a masterworks one.

I generally tame captured critters while they're caged. For silk farm usage, I build a hatch at the bottom of both the GCS and the bait single tile rooms, with a cage trap underneath, so when the GCS reverts to wild I pull the lever and recage it. The bait needs to be dropped if you want to restart the silk farm, as the bait will scare dorfs trying to haul the re-tamed GCS into its silk spewing room.
Pages: 1 [2]