Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarven Suites  (Read 4401 times)

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Suites
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2016, 06:59:32 pm »

Fleeting Frames: I couldn't quite understand your comment and I also couldn't find a description in the link you provided.  I wonder if you could explain a bit more.

You say that 1 and 2 will have a greater value than 3.  Did you mean the opposite?  My understanding is that the middle room would have a higher value because it shares walls with both 1 and 2.  Rooms 1 and 2 only share one wall each and so should have less value.  Possibly I'm confused about something ;-)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2016, 07:41:58 pm »

Fleeting Frames: I couldn't quite understand your comment and I also couldn't find a description in the link you provided.  I wonder if you could explain a bit more.

You say that 1 and 2 will have a greater value than 3.  Did you mean the opposite?  My understanding is that the middle room would have a higher value because it shares walls with both 1 and 2.  Rooms 1 and 2 only share one wall each and so should have less value.  Possibly I'm confused about something ;-)
(I have not done this experiment, at least in the manner of quantifying/qualifying things so precisely, but....)
I think the idea is that the shared wall counts as penalty.  The middle room gains from its higher values, but less so from the higher values that are deemed 'shared' with the neighbouring rooms.  The outer rooms lose (gainable) value in their neighbourliness with the central room, but are not suppressed for the other five tiles of the eight1, so are better rooms because of this.

Or that's how I read it. I stand to be corrected.

1 One floor and seven walls (three/six of which are shared), the door all possible obscuring improvements to the floor that is the ninth tile, if it still works the way I'm used to. (I smooth and clear loose rocks away from doorways before even thinking of placing doors, but this scenariondoes not do that, in order to force the standardised test scenario.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2016, 10:35:18 pm »

His example is to demonstrate that smoothing does not care about tile sides, but engraving does. He locks a dwarf in Room 1 to engrave the wall separating Room 1 and 3, and thus the engraving appears on the wall in Room 1, it does not also appear on the wall in Room 3 even though they share the wall tile. While the 23a page mentions it, the DF2014 page states it clearly. Its not a matter of overlapping room values, the engraving itself depends on direction it was engraved from.
Quote from: DF2014:Engraving
Engravings are directional--only the side the engraving dwarf stood on will receive the engraving value bonus. There is no way to engrave more than one side of a single wall tile.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2016, 11:47:15 pm »

OK.  I think I figured out where I was getting confused.  The example states to engrave rooms 1, 2 and 3 in that order.  However, you can't engrave the walls on 3 because they are already engraved.  So if direction doesn't matter than 3 will have the same value (* -- see below), but if direction matters then 3 will have a lower value.

* -- The other thing I was confused about is whether or not having multiple overlapping rooms results in multiple penalties.  We're in the same situation with smoothing as with engraving.  If we smooth the walls in 1 and 2, then you can' smooth the walls in 3 (they are already smooth).  Since they all have the same value in this case it means that direction in smoothing is unimportant and that the penalty for overlapping only occurs once, no matter how many rooms overlap.

And indeed it is mentioned on the page.  I missed it because I was expecting more detail ;-)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2016, 02:57:25 am »

His example is to demonstrate that smoothing does not care about tile sides, but engraving does.
Really?  Hmm, it seems so. Cognitively I seem to have skipped over this bit...

Yeah, muldrake, of course engraving increase the value of a room it's done inside of. What we're speaking of is this:

#D#D#D#
#1# 3# 2#
#######

Use doors to lock engraver in and start from far corner, then smooth 1 -  then 2 - then 3. Rooms have same value.

Engrave them in same way and same order
and rooms 1 and 2 will have greater value than 3.

Yes, lots of people have tested this, me included. 23a: It's been on the wiki for years

(Perhaps because I pretty much never have my Engravers engraving, only (along with not-yet-Engravers, but probably soon) smoothing, thus I think of "what Engravers do" as envraving.   Not to want to sound disrespectful of a long-standing mechanic of the game reflecting vital flavour in line with Tarn and brother's ethos...  I suspect I'd appreciate engravings more in a more graphically rendered version of the game, but right now just not necessary.)

Consider me corrected.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2016, 08:59:07 am »

The other thing I was confused about is whether or not having multiple overlapping rooms results in multiple penalties. 
It would make sense, wouldn't it? :P

But yeah, I typically make a giant room or two and cram things into it, including mister and maybe making it royal with a masterful bridge if I have gold or something.
Pages: 1 2 [3]