Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Taming Troubles  (Read 640 times)

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal Taming Troubles
« on: September 06, 2016, 07:48:59 pm »

Hi all,

So, my above ground, unicorn-reverent fortress has had a prosperous year so far! I started out with six war unicorns, three male and three female. They all coupled up, so now I have three happy unicorn foals.

What's confusing me is how to train them so that they, like their parents, grow up to become war unicorns. I've built a kennel on their pasture, and I set out with an animal trainer. Obviously, I've also done some file editing to even make having the unicorns possible, but perhaps I didn't edit enough?

None of the kennel options seem to work on the foals, possibly because they were born tame. Unsure on this. Any ideas?

Also, as a side question ... I built next to a tower because I thought it would pose the risk of necromantic invasion, only to realize after the fact that it was a dwarven tower. The only civilization I see nearby is a dwarven one. Nevertheless, I presently have an autumn trade visit from a goblin baroness consort. In short, I'm wondering if I'll ever get invaded by anything! Heh.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Taming Troubles
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 08:06:05 pm »

Kennels are for vermin. Animal training is selected on the animals screen, and carried out in an animal training zone (i.e., the pasture, if you enabled the zone setting.)

I think the foals might need to grow to adulthood first?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 08:18:42 pm »

Dogs and other animals have to grow to adulthood before they can be war/hunting trained so I'd say that's your issue.

How long does it take a unicorn to reach adulthood?
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 08:48:07 pm »

Dogs and other animals have to grow to adulthood before they can be war/hunting trained so I'd say that's your issue.

How long does it take a unicorn to reach adulthood?

I've no idea where to find that info, myself.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 02:01:05 am »

On the wiki! 1!

If you want invasions, check when you finish gen that closet desired-invadee site is major who has not overtaken minor hamlets and always tab to neighbour screen pre-embark :v

However, I towers should always have undead to attack you (though their range is mere 10 region tiles); the name (typically "dwarven"/"human") refers to civilization it sprang from. You can get, for instance, goblin towers if dwarf civ is overtaken by goblins and then those goblin civ dwarves become afraid of death.

If they're not visible post-embark 'c'ivilization screen you just have not met them yet.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 02:04:09 am by Fleeting Frames »

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 02:26:17 pm »

Thanks, Fleeting Frames!

I haven't seen any undead yet (they arrived pretty quickly the last time I made a Tower my neighbor), but I guess I can live in hope! I built right alongside a dwarven tower, so it occurs to ask whether this might be the problem? Will a dwarven tower attack a dwarven settlement?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 04:20:57 pm »

Black towers attack everyone, so a necro tower being a dwarven one isn't a problem. If there's another settlement closer to them than you are (which shouldn't be the case if you're just beside it) they may decide to attack it first. Regardless, the time it takes for them to show up varies from first summer up to several years.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 12:20:32 am »

Interesting; I haven't seen black towers attack anyone during worldgen yet (though I've heard at least an anecdote of establishment of one post-worldgen). Do their post-worldgen wars swell or diminish their membership?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 02:26:22 am »

Sorry, I expressed myself poorly: black towers attack player fortresses regardless of what species/civ the necromancer(s) came from. I have no actual knowledge of their interaction with anyone else (they SHOULD raid everyone else as well for bodies, but that's an issue completely separate from how it's currently implemented).