Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing the skill of migrants through world gen and world gen tips/hints  (Read 538 times)

Infinityforce

• Bay Watcher
  • NOW I AM ONE WITH THE COSMOS
    • View Profile

That is, if they have been at war more often during their history, it's likely to send migrants with combat skills, right?
I noticed younger worlds have a larger abundance of farmers, and they have little-to-no social skills too.
Also, I think if you edit/change the mineral frequency, it gives more/less artisans, gem-cutters etc.
I'm not certain but I think changing beasts/savagery gives different skills too, though I'm not sure what exactly the differences are from a war-like civvie.
I'm sure it also varies by civilisation, where that civvie is located, trading etc. and I think on larger worlds they have more diverse skillsets (seemingly)
For example, civvies located deep in the mountains have less wood-workers compared to a jungle location (I think. Don't take my word for it)
I also recall that having an older world = more created art, and therefore more performers. Is that right?
I don't really want a world where half my dwarves are farmers and fisherdwarves.
It seems that genning a specific type of world would create the ideal setting for the dwarves you want and therefore the fort you want to build.
Does anyone else know what kind of influences affect the skills of migrants?

edit: Also, does anyone know how historical figures, events, and dead affect civilisations?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the skill of migrants through world gen and world gen tips/hints
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 03:29:45 pm »

There are two contaminants to deal with your tests:

- Migrant waves are random. You can savescum to get different number and skills on migrants.
- I recall a mention that migrant skills are given based on two things: What you have none of, and what you have tons of.

Otherwise, indeed older creatures have greater social and performance skills.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the skill of migrants through world gen and world gen tips/hints
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 06:24:30 pm »

Migrants come in two forms, 1)Pre-existing historical figures with real histories and 2) Abstract population numbers upgraded just for your fortress migrant waves into historical figures. The pre-existing historical figures will have been building skills and so on, whereas the newly generated figures from the abstract population come with whatever the system generates for them at the time. So, yeah, if your civ has seen a lot of war (or, like goblins, just kill each other a lot) the historical figures are more likely to have been involved and therefore will have high skills.

Try generating a world in which the entire population are historical figures however and you will kill your computer. So...it's not easy to manipulate. At that point in tweaking you're better off just modding in natural axe skills to Dwarves.