Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Numidiad: An Elder Scrolls Mod (WIP)  (Read 1188 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
The Numidiad: An Elder Scrolls Mod (WIP)
« on: September 04, 2016, 06:09:52 pm »

Alternate Title: Nchardahrk: New Coke.

Name is a homage to this text

This mod's objective will be to provide a total conversion of Dwarf Fortress using content based on Bethesda's The Elder Scrolls. This is not DF's first TES mod, and likely won't be the last. The first was Deon's Dwemer Fortress, which, after becoming outdated, was succeeded by my own Nchardahrk. Unfortunately, Nchardahrk was my first mod and as such it was a mess of bugs and half-implemented ideas. Putnam's help was invaluable in fixing the first, though the second remained.

As such, instead of simply updating the raws, I'm remaking the mod from scratch under a different name. My Warhammer Fantasy mod has given me a lot more experience both with editing raws, dealing with bugs, and using DFHack.

In a radical departure from both previous mods, Deon's and mine, Dwemer shall not be playable. In fact, they shall not even be an entity. Rather, their constructs and specters will litter the underground, providing danger to those who explore the depths. Their ruins shall appear as "veins", with their own hazards for those who wish to excavate them.

The players will be able to control entities of the races playable in the games from which this mod is based: Imperials, Bretons, Nords, Redguards, High Elves, Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Orcs, Khajiit, and Argonians. All others shall feature as unplayable, to both attack and trade with. Unlike the Warhammer Mod, I do not plan to release one at a time: instead it will be all in one go. The mod will also feature an excessive number of creatures, as I am wont to include in any mod I make.

As for how long this will take to make, I truly do not know.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: The Numidiad: An Elder Scrolls Mod (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 06:28:35 pm »

There would be interbreeding, but you could make the Empire a single creature with a lot of castes.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 06:39:15 pm »

There would be interbreeding, but you could make the Empire a single creature with a lot of castes.
No need. Not with visitors asking for citizenship and such these days.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 09:39:31 pm »

Hey, I was working on this exact thing... only I got frustrated when the ethics turned out to be really hard to balance. It's hard to make everyone go to war in a lore-friendly way, though I managed to hack something together.

So, anyway, I have some half-tested stuff lying around, if you're interested: the civilized creatures you mentioned, and their entities; weapons, armor, and materials (all placeholder for now - haven't balanced the numbers); some mega/semimegabeasts and night creatures - dragons, giants, frost giants, hagravens, werecreatures. Maybe some spells/magic system stuff.

Note: I'm not a TES loremaster by any means, I used UESP and my own game experiences for my stuff.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 11:16:05 am »

How are you planning to do the "Dwemer veins" idea?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 11:30:27 am »

How are you planning to do the "Dwemer veins" idea?
Literally just a metal ore that can be mined, paired with Dirst's script from his TESB to sometimes spawn centurions.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 11:55:57 am »

I hadn't heard of that script. Sounds interesting.
My mods and forum games.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 01:50:50 pm »

For the balancing of materials, I suggest making iron and steel weaker than in vanilla DF. As in the games iron and steel are basically worthless and to be replaced by one of the many other better materials later on. Even random naked townspeople can survive a bunch of hits from a master using an iron weapon. So toning those down allows for less ridiculous higher tier materials.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 10:35:56 pm »

For the balancing of materials, I suggest making iron and steel weaker than in vanilla DF. As in the games iron and steel are basically worthless and to be replaced by one of the many other better materials later on. Even random naked townspeople can survive a bunch of hits from a master using an iron weapon. So toning those down allows for less ridiculous higher tier materials.

Yeah, I was about to post suggesting this. From what I've seen in-game, Dwarf Fortress's iron and steel are actually both steel, with iron being lower grade. Making iron into a proper, lamer iron and steel into the current iron would probably balance it out.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 08:03:41 am »

That's a pretty good suggestion. I'll do that.