Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HFS Annihilation Squad?  (Read 650 times)

Spectre9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HFS Annihilation Squad?
« on: September 04, 2016, 09:05:32 am »

I'm trying to ascertain what I would need to take on the !!!FUN!!! from HFS? I don't want to use traps or magma, but face the enemy head on with my military as Armok intended.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: HFS Annihilation Squad?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 09:16:07 am »

Two main things you'll want for a Clown-arena; Fortifications to hide Marksdwarves, and water.  The former is self-explanatory; give your Marksdwarves a secure shooting location, same as any other fight.  The water is to help negate any Dust, Fire, or other !FUN! the Clowns may spew forth.  Siege Weapons can be effective as well, but you must take care of their placement, lest you impale/squish your own army.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 09:27:33 am »

Ok, while full adamantine would be NICE for this, it isn't really necessary, steel or worse metals will do for armour, weapons, etc.

You will need large numbers of weaponmasters, preferably with high quality weapons. Danger room training theoretically isn't necessary, but you'll need several years of training otherwise.

Siege weapons aren't as amazing as they used to be, and remember that their operators will run away from conflict pretty soon.

Some ranged squads are a good idea:  certain HFS will be deadly when hit at short range.

Some HFS may have breath attacks that will be near impossible to deal with without range, muultiple charges, or ambushes.
One wheel short of a wagon

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 10:20:06 am »

I'd suggest using large amounts of war animals as support. They can be a screen for your soldiers that will keep some harm away from them. Strength in numbers and all that.

Lordhermitcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 10:41:53 am »

Maybe if you fill the whole room with giant cave spiders, they'll web 'em all up or something.
THE CONCRETE IS ON FIRE

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 02:28:07 pm »

planned cave-ins can do a lot of damage, and a siege battery placed behind fortifications at long range can allow your dwarves to shoot at them without them being able to fire back.
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 05:42:10 pm »

If this doesn't count as trap, then disposable baits in different corridor lengths might help with splitting them up and making their waves more staggered.