Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Titan Spore 2016 (mod for Spore, previously Forgotten Spore)  (Read 24413 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(edit: Everything past this edit is old. The links most likely won't work (or barely), and nearly all the downloads have been removed. You can however find the link to Titan Spore 2016 here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Spore/comments/4r4y1w/mod_titan_spore_2016_huge_mod_not_my_own/

Its pretty much a huge upgrade from Forgotten Spore. Honestly not sure all the features, but it adds a ton of fun.

Here is the one good video I can find of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRPjkUB0SNU

(end edit)

The Website (the website for Forgotten Spore is a bit weird, it acts weird on Chrome...not the greatest website)

http://www.galaxygamestudios.com/#!home/cjg9

and the latest (its a beta) version for Forgotten Spore

http://www.galaxygamestudios.com/#!forgotten-spore-reboot/ceyp

And the definitely in development and nowhere near alpha (as far as I know, but their website is very bare bones so not anything to talk about) Cell Evolve:

http://www.cellevolve.com/ and their patreon campaign to keep doing Spore stuff and (probably mostly) for Cell Evolve) https://www.patreon.com/forgottenspore

Their Youtube channel (some videos of the game, some animation stuff they have done.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzHn8VERiHP7hlAVDdli3Hg

So, first. Yeah Spore is kinda old now (not really THAT old) and was definitely not what it said it was going to be. And I really thought I made a post on Forgotten Spore at one point in time, but maybe I decided not to as I didn't see it in search.

But secretly, I've still been playing Spore this entire time its been out. Sometimes I'll play an entire month non-stop (well I sleep/take breaks and stuff, but you know what I mean lol), sometimes every day and usually hop on once or twice a week. I haven't taken a break from doing that since release. I think this entire time I took one break for six month and that was mostly because my PC was dead. Anyway, on to the topic. That is really a thread for two (similar) games, but made by the same team.

Now first. Forgotten Spore is HUGE, its a huge mod and the team behind it has done a great job making it. It improves all the eras (except civilization era hasn't been touched much) and greatly improves space era (space and creature are the two biggest eras to get changed). I think they are working on an aquatic era, but think its still in development.

Forgotten Spore started actually really small and wasn't a company at all. So, when I looked at their (new) website (its by far improved from their old one) I was very surprised they turned into an actual gaming company. Kinda cool to start as a mod team (not sure how many people they had or have) and grow into an actual company. And way under the radar too. Not like anyone plays Spore though guess no one noticed them lol.

So, what Forgotten Spore is...its a complete overhaul pretty much to most of Spore. It makes it far better. Cell stage is longer and while I haven't gotten into the new version...it did seem a lot better as the cells were 3d instead of 2d (did make it a bit hard to control sometimes). But you can create rather cool 3d looking cell things. Creature stage you start as an epic (but a weaker one), and eventually you make a home and a family. Lots of new parts to find, a MUCH bigger planet to explore. And a day/night cycle.

Tribe stage and civilization stage seemed most similar (looks like they did a lot more to it in the new versions). Except, you can make rather big tribes in tribe stage.

Space stage is of course changed A LOT. Not so annoying or boring like vanilla Spore. For one, if you look at the channel videos (I haven't tried the mod by the way), there is a mod he shows that you can customize any planet to your liking completely free form (at least according to the video, its probably plattes (or however its spelled) and regular tool stuff...my PC isn't me letting play youtube videos for some reason. But from what I did see, it looked like you could do a lot more things than normal. But as far my own experience, space isn't so dull. More stuff to find (so better exploring), and you can build things on planets (not the cities). Only thing I'd like is more like a city-builder kind of thing in both space stage and civilization stage (doubt the new version has that, still on the older one). But ah well. Still, I built up a cool little base (sorta) on one planet. And since planets are bigger, allows more room for stuff.

Combat is still the same, probably only thing not changed. Except he added a TON new weapons and "abilities". Plus creature stage, you can get additional special attacks that he added.

The actual mechanics are pretty much the same (at least in the 2014 version). But what Forgotten Spore does is add a TON of stuff, and overhaul a lot of the features. I mean, its still gonna be Spore...and it is a huge overhaul...and while still rather similar to Spore (new version does look better)...its a lot more fun with the mod.

Anyway...now I hope this topic gets buried as I don't want people to know I still play Spore. :P But no really...maybe people will be interested in Forgotten Spore and their rather unknown game (literally unknown, cause they don't say anything what its about, but I assume its gonna be like Spore in certain ways :P)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:22:21 am by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems very interesting. I need to remember to give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does it allow you to have fleets and send them places? Does it allow your colonies to gather resources on their own? Does it in any way make the game less shallow? Does it not require the expansion, which I never bought because fool me once, etc? Oh, and the copy I have on my hard drive won't run because missing registry stuff (I pulled it from a dead previous computer) and my cd/dvd drive is broken so I can't install it from the CD/DVD (I forget which), and I'm not going to buy a new one to install a DRM'd game (I tried entering the product key on Origin and it went "lol no") (also not going to buy a new one because Steam and GoG exist and are a million times easier than swapping CDs when I want to play a game), and I'm definitely not going to buy it again because fuck EA.

Oh, and EA shut down the spore servers a couple years ago, which seems like it would be a problem seeing as that's how you get other people's critters in your game and such.

Spoiler: Offtopic (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:34:25 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The mechanics are the problem. ALL of the problem. I didn't walk into Spore and say, "Hey, I wish there were more parts for my critters." I said "Hey, wtf are you doing space faring species of mine? Do I have to babysit you every 2 minutes? Do you only have 1 ship exploring a hostile universe?" It's still Spore and that's the problem.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

The mechanics are the problem. ALL of the problem. I didn't walk into Spore and say, "Hey, I wish there were more parts for my critters." I said "Hey, wtf are you doing space faring species of mine? Do I have to babysit you every 2 minutes? Do you only have 1 ship exploring a hostile universe?" It's still Spore and that's the problem.

Basically my feeling. More parts? Unless they radically overhauled what parts do, it's just adding more of a thing that was purely cosmetic.

Also, my biggest problem with space is that all your intense terraforming efforts meant fuck all once you left a planet, and the game went "let me compress all this shit down until it's barely a shadow of the work you just did." Mountains and ridges turned into hills, oceans and large bodies of water auto-filled with land....if none of that has been addressed by the mod, it's not really worth my time.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I do remember that in base game. I'd do tons of work teraforming and leave and planet resets itself. That kinda pissed me off a lot lol. I haven't seen that in the mod (though maybe I don't remember, I've been in creature stage for a while). But pretty sure that is "fixed". Though don't hold me on that as I do forget. :P Maybe I got used to it and don't notice now lol. But it could be gone, I'll have to make a space game when I'm back from vacation and check it out and make sure.

As for space. I never have to babysit any of the planets. Just visit them occasionally to get spice. Get a bunch of defenses, and the planet defends itself lol. That is, against pirates (which are a lot rarer). And sick animals on the planet are super rare, and there are buildings that get rid of that all together. If another civilization goes to war, gotta get involved (not always, sometimes I ignore it and the defenses do the work plus the planet's own massive air defense fleet). Though once lost half my galactic empire because the other civilization was huge (three times the size of mine) and was teamed up with another one lol. Sadly no fleets that you can actually send out or anything in 2014 version, or random space ships flying around doing stuff...that would be a nice touch.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

My biggest complaint about Spore was the fact that civilizations were shared piece by piece, and not as a group. So when you visited another planet you would see one players species living in another players houses, driving a third players vehicles, and knew that the civilization you had worked so hard to create would also be split up for other people's games and never seen in it's entirety.

Has Forgotten Spore done anything to address this? Will online interactivity even be possible with a mod?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My biggest complaint about Spore was the fact that civilizations were shared piece by piece, and not as a group. So when you visited another planet you would see one players species living in another players houses, driving a third players vehicles, and knew that the civilization you had worked so hard to create would also be split up for other people's games and never seen in it's entirety.

Has Forgotten Spore done anything to address this? Will online interactivity even be possible with a mod?

No, that is probably deep in the online interactivity of spore. It kind of randomizes what a civilization gets. Not sure if that is fixable and if it is, probably be really really hard to change. But I can play online with the mod. The online part hasn't been removed from Spore at all.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Titan Spore 2016(mod for Spore)
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 12:20:55 am »

This is an old thread. But sometimes people find old threads. Sometimes they show up on Google for someone looking for the particular topic. So I went ahead and edited the first post with the link to the newest version of Titan Spore 2016 (previously Forgotten Spore, which isn't easily available anymore.) I do have copies of it, but I haven't re-uploaded it. Titan Spore 2016 is pretty much the same thing, but better anyway.

To sum it up, the creator kinda rage quit out of modding for some reason (probably burnt out). But he said if the mod picks up popularity or he "feels like it", he'll start working on it again. I can kinda see why though, working on something for years would burn me out and I'd get tired of doing it and need a break :P Though he went ahead and deleted 99.99% of all downloads and links to even get it. I found that one link that still worked.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:24:05 am by Vendayn »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Titan Spore 2016 (mod for Spore, previously Forgotten Spore)
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 10:09:36 am »

gameplay video on youtoob calls star systems "galaxies".  Fail.

I'm occasionally tempted to try Spore again, this might make it worthwhile.  I'm not really willing to buy another copy of the game though, since my original purchase was back in the days of physical media and I don't have any more of that.

Still, tempting.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 12:01:01 pm »

There are ways for seafaring gents. YARRR HARR!

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 01:52:17 pm »

gameplay video on youtoob calls star systems "galaxies".  Fail.

I'm occasionally tempted to try Spore again, this might make it worthwhile.  I'm not really willing to buy another copy of the game though, since my original purchase was back in the days of physical media and I don't have any more of that.

Still, tempting.

I had Spore on disk a while ago, but bought it on Steam during the sales and got it transferred to Origin. Steam spore isn't very friendly for mods. But it was super cheap on the sales, forgot exactly how much I paid, but it wasn't much at all for the whole collection. Going to in n out burger or jack in the box is about same price lol. I wouldn't buy it not on sale though. Even though Spore with mods is actually pretty fun, it wouldn't be worth it for me at the normal price.

And yeah I took a look at the video again and he did call solar systems galaxies lol. That is kinda funny :P