Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have a fort...  (Read 1333 times)

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have a fort...
« on: February 05, 2008, 04:47:00 pm »

Wonderful place:
Magma, steel, crafts, individual rooms, river, a couple of engineering wonders (giant moat and waterfall machine), the whole shebang.

Unfortunately, it has 160ish dwarves and I get 10 FPS on my GOOD computer.

And I don't like killing my dwarves off.

Should I abandon and reclaim or let it be?

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
Re: I have a fort...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »

Abandoning and reclaiming would probably suck.  I've never done it, but from what I hear crap is strewn everywhere.

If you've got no huge projects or anything that requires a lot of dwarforce, do you think that locking most of your dwarves up (with food and alcohol) would make the FPS better (to try to get rid of some pathfinding)?  

I've currently been wondering that because I have a DECENT computer which I get 35-45 FPS on right now, but that's because I have a pop cap of 36.  When I finish my major constructions I was going to take the cap off and try to confine most of my non-essential dwarves.  I just don't know if it would be effective enough.

Plus if you abandon, won't there still be a significant amount of useless dwarves still moping about taking up CPU as well?  I've only ever abandoned a fort just to revisit in adventure mode, and even with my small population, there were lots of dwarves still running around (and getting in super epic battles).

I dunno, those are my thoughts...I think you should consider killing some of them...have fun with it!  Women and children first!   :D

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »

Why did you end up with that many dwarves in the first place?  Maybe setting pop cap to something reasonable, like 80 (so that you get sieges) would be a good idea for your next fort?

Also, if you want to lower your population, draft a huge bunch of them and meet the gobbos head on the next time they show up.  I guarantee a slaughter.  This isn't what I would call "getting rid of dwarves" since they die for blood god's glory.

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: Krash ]

MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 05:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Krash:
<STRONG>Why did you end up with that many dwarves in the first place?  Maybe setting pop cap to something reasonable, like 80 (so that you get sieges) would be a good idea for your next fort?

Also, if you want to lower your population, draft a huge bunch of them and meet the gobbos head on the next time they show up.  I guarantee a slaughter.  This isn't what I would call "getting rid of dwarves" since they die for blood god's glory.

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: Krash ]</STRONG>

Please don't get this myth in circulation anymore.. There is no pop-cap for siges. I myself got fortresses besieged who had only about a population of 30.

I found out that setting the Pop-cap to about 60 is reasonable and lets you build a fortress without getting insane. Some nobles don't show up... but who needs them anyway. You can set it higher later when you're ready.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

Be careful with anything involving mass executions. If the dwarves are well connected you'll have a full blown riot on your hands when you get done. Also, I would not consider reclaiming a valid idea even when your fort was lost to a siege or somesuch. Especially if you have LOTS of goods, things will be strewn about as far as the eye can see on virtually every z level of the map.

It can take years to get everything back together, and starting with a mere seven dwarves in a fort designed to sustain 150 will overload them with tasks if you attempt to get things back together.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »

Um, the 80 pop thing isn't a myth, Toady confirmed it... for the last version, if I remember correctly.

For the new one, I don't know.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 09:31:00 pm »

Death closet. It's all you need.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 09:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mover#005:
<STRONG>

Please don't get this myth in circulation anymore.. There is no pop-cap for siges. I myself got fortresses besieged who had only about a population of 30.</STRONG>

Im so tired of you people saying it's a lie.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 03:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Blacken:
<STRONG>Death closet. It's all you need.</STRONG>

how do you build a death closet? I'm looking for some nice exection means right now for my temple.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 11:10:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Quift:
<STRONG>

how do you build a death closet? I'm looking for some nice exection means right now for my temple.</STRONG>

It's a room filled with spikes. restrict access to it. Put the dead dwarves walking in a squad and stick them in there.

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 01:36:00 pm »

Very strange, My last fortress had a low population (set the cap around 30 in the INI, got around 34) and I got besieged. This was two versions ago. Bug?

To add somewhat to the thread. Abandon it. Really. It would make no sense to kill half of the population... the rest would only go crazy.
An the remains wouldn't be rebuildable.

If you want to reclaim it, I think all the stuff that is scattered around is set to forbidden anyways, so your dwarfs wouldn't haul themselves to death. Maybe set the Cap REALLY low in the ini and build a pocket fortress with your new dwarves somewhere, then sloooowly clean your old fortress up from there.

It would probably more interesting to just start a new fortress somewhere through.

[ February 06, 2008: Message edited by: Mover#005 ]

RogerN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 02:28:00 pm »

quote:
Very strange, My last fortress had a low population (set the cap around 30 in the INI, got around 34) and I got besieged. This was two versions ago. Bug?

*Possible spoiler*

If I remember correctly then goblins will attack your fortress if your wealth is high enough, regardless of population.  Sieges can occur either at 80 population or at a sufficiently high wealth.  So just keep making those masterwork platinum statues  :)

Anatzenko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 03:15:00 pm »

Death closet is so boring. I constructed 6 high pillars and attached floor grates to a lever, the dwarfs drop on the spikes.... much more entertaining