Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do you need steel aquaducts to transport lava?  (Read 2452 times)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Do you need steel aquaducts to transport lava?
« on: September 07, 2006, 12:42:00 am »

Do you need steel aquaducts to transport lava?

Continuity issues abound...  :D

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you need steel aquaducts to transport lava?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 12:55:00 am »

technically stone would withstand the heat of lava much better than steel would...

Upthorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 05:23:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ctrlfrk:
<STRONG>technically stone would withstand the heat of lava much better than steel would...</STRONG>

Considering that lava is molten stone...

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 06:47:00 am »

i always thought lava was molten iron... ever tried melting a rock?

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 08:09:00 am »

Yes, lava is molten rock (temperature between 1000K and 1500K), not molten iron or steel (melting point between about 1400K and 1811K).

You could also build bridges out of copper (melting point: 1358K), bot not bronze or brass.

If you could get your hands on komatite (1900K) or wollastonite (1800K; a high-pressure metamorph of limestone), you could build lava-bearing aqueducts out of it, too.

EDIT: Oh, BTW, iron has a higher melting point than steel, so it should be better suited for building a lava-bearing aqueduct, at least for the hotter forms of lava.

[ September 07, 2006: Message edited by: Akjosch ]

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 03:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Akjosch:
<STRONG>EDIT: Oh, BTW, iron has a higher melting point than steel, so it should be better suited for building a lava-bearing aqueduct, at least for the hotter forms of lava.</STRONG>
Hmm?  This is actually a fairly serious issue, then.  Currently the game requires steel for all lava-based constructions, and disallows iron...  but apparently that is, if anything, backwards.  This is especially problematic with bridges, where it's assumed that the player will just 'know' that they need something tough like steel...  a player with actual detailed knowledge of melting points might try iron, see that it doesn't work, then assume that more easily melted steel wouldn't work, either.

But on the other hand, the steel requirement is a significant gameplay element...

[ September 07, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Arnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 04:45:00 pm »

not sure if this is done, but for now there could just be a pop up message saying you need steel to cross the lava.

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 08:21:00 pm »

I assumed the "steel melts faster than iron" part to be common knowledge, actually.  :) To quote Wikipedia (on the melting point):

"Melting points are often used to characterise organic compounds and to ascertain the purity. The melting point of a pure substance is always higher than the melting point of that substance when a small amount of an impurity is present. The more impurity is present, the lower the melting point. Eventually, a minimum melting point will be reached. The mixing ratio that results in the lowest possible melting point is known as the eutectic point."

Just add wolframite and scheelite to the stone types and let the dwarves extract Tungsten from it; this should (having a melting point at 3695K) make for some nice and very expensive lava bridges and aqueducts.  :D

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 11:10:00 pm »

Maybe concrete with steel girder reinforcing...

Gronut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 03:40:00 am »

Not all rock melts at the same temperature, so just because you have liquid hot magma goin' about doesn't mean that it'll melt all other rock on contact. Also, rock's generally not a good conductor of heat. Magma is created under tremendous pressures and temperatures deep within the earth, and flows out topside through whatever hole it can find, but it doesn't melt out because it transfers heat to surrounding rock slowly and inefficiently. That's why people can walk (albeit in funky protective booties) on the solidified crust over a lava flow and not burn up. Not only can the heat of the lava underneath not keep the crust from, well, being crusty, but the heat it manages to transfer to the crust is insufficient to ignite most thigns in the vicinity of it. Conversely, metals are excellent conductors, so maybe a steel or iron bridge won't melt on account of lava, but it'll sure beam all that heat up at whoever's walkig on it. Mmmmm... Magma Fried Dwarf....

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 04:31:00 am »

It's dragon-licking good!
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 07:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>It's dragon-licking good!</STRONG>

No matter how good something tastes, I don't think it will ever cause any sane person to lick a dragon in response.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Varil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 08:16:00 am »

You just aren't licking the right dragons.