Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make a working underground tree farm  (Read 2258 times)

Darkfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make a working underground tree farm
« on: September 06, 2006, 01:37:00 pm »

Okay, so I know if you flood an area and leave it for three years, you can get mature tower caps which can be cut down for wood.  At some point I'd like to totally close my fortress up, to be opened only when immigrants or traders arrive.  

I wouldn't try this until after I hit the lava and make a smelter there, which cuts down on needing charcoal.  But I still need wood for beds and for potash/pearlash if I want to fertilize or make clear windows.  

So, the question is, has anyone created a tower cap farm sufficient to cover your wood needs?  How big did you have to make it?  I tried to make one out of around an 11x11 space and I think I've grown all of 3 tower caps.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Re: Make a working underground tree farm
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 01:47:00 pm »

I tend to just dig out huge open areas on either side of the river. I'm not sure why I bother, but I do. I guess it's a good supply of emergency wood if I ever get sieged by a huge army.

Stregone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 03:50:00 pm »

I just continued expanding my farming area way bigger than I actualy needed every year.

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 04:58:00 pm »

I've heard numbers like 1 tree/10 patches of mud.  That seems a bit high for me.  I dig series of 6x6 rooms that can to doored off to make whatever I want (or expanded to 13x13.  Each year, when I start farming, I flood the fortress that isn't under use.  Then over the year, I'll expand into some of the ex-flooded rooms, and build new ones farther along.  The trick with this is preplanning.  

Long stretches along the river are wonderful because you get lots of webs, too.  Don't forget to reflood at regular intervals.  I don't know if it does any good to flood more often that once a year.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 09:37:00 pm »

I've got further questions for tree farming, which seems more and more viable although it takes tree years, due to the fact that the map I'm on produces too little wood.  If I simply expanded the side of a cave river, do I still need to flood (looking for a more management free permanent solution)?

This is due to the fact that other than little wood, all my ponds permanently evaporated due to weather within the first season.  I managed to save some water in an underground cistern, which fortunately do not seems to get less even with dwarf drinking, but I can't afford massive water wastage.  Even if I eventually get to the cave river (I know there is one, from the seed description in pregen worlds), it will take a while for me to figure out how to engineer the river into a controllable water supply.

Although the conditions seem harsh atm (no water, little wood), but I see that as a trade off for the richer stone resources (lots of obsidian) and magma.  The difficulties makes it more challenging and fun too, e.g. how to survive with little water. (incidentally, the only other water supply visible atm, other than my hastily built underground cistern, is a 1x2 "pond" with 5 levels of water that mysteriously did not evaporate with the rest of the ponds.  Nice, but almost no fishing.

CharonX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 10:01:00 pm »

Wow, you reanimated a 1 year old thread. That's some horrible necromancy.

Also tree-farms work differently now in the new version.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 10:32:00 pm »

Eh, the elves do worse necromancy then this guy anyway.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 11:04:00 pm »

really, I was just trying to post another thread of same topic by *actually* using the search function... LOL... I did not know that tree farming doesn't work the same anymore.  If I had, I'll just start a new thread instead.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 11:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sphr:
<STRONG>really, I was just trying to *not* post another thread of same topic by *actually* using the search function... LOL... I did not know that tree farming doesn't work the same anymore.  If I had, I'll just start a new thread instead.</STRONG>

edit:  added the *not*.

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 11:26:00 pm »

If there isn't a topic on the first 3 pages of the forum index about it, don't bother bumping an old topic.
IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!