Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave blob fluid in random spots on the surface  (Read 1694 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave blob fluid in random spots on the surface
« on: August 23, 2016, 10:07:21 am »

This has been happening since I started this fort (gave me quite a shock when several of my animals were covered in blisters) but the oddest part is I haven't even seen a single cave blob in the caverns at all, it's just randomly appearing puddles of cave blob fluid all over the place

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave blob fluid in random spots on the surface
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 11:43:26 am »

Haven't heard of that. Of course, if a cave blob has been killed in the caverns without you knowing, your dorfs might carry the fluid on their feet.
Another alternative is that it's not actually cave blob fluid, but a reasonably benign evil rain.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 11:49:58 am »

Given the blisters on animals part, it sounds like evil rain to me http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Weather#Evil_Rain
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 12:02:44 pm »

Seeing as though I'm in a good/neutral embark I don't think it's evil rain especially since loo"k"ing at it says cave blob fluid

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 12:09:09 pm »

Have you used "probe" command on sky? The evil region may be raining from several region tiles over.

Also, on this same page troll blood? thread is pretty similar.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 12:32:12 pm »

Open game up in dfhack, loo'k' at sky tiles above your embark and type probe into dfhack console. It'll give you numerous values, such as savagery and evilness. The sky may very well have different evilness than the ground beneath it, and unlike with evil clouds just one tile is sufficient for whole map to be drenched in evil rain.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 01:44:38 pm »

As with the troll blood problem I suggest sterilizing your fort. Since the thought of using alcohol for such an ignoble purpose is ethically unsound, I recommend magma.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 01:51:38 pm »

Doing that is kinda hard because of random crashes....

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 01:52:50 pm »

Doing that is kinda hard because of random crashes....

Hang on, you've started having crashes with the blob blood thing? I was just being a goof, that sounds like a whole different issue.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 01:55:38 pm »

no not the blob, just in general the save is crashing randomly (Read: I want someone to look at the save on the other thread I posted and decided to plug it here for some reason)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 02:08:06 pm »

DF hack hasn't updated to 43.05?
Ah, didn't know you were on the latest version. In that case, you can also search gamelog.txt for "It is raining cave blob fluid".

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 02:23:41 pm »

This has been happening since I started this fort (gave me quite a shock when several of my animals were covered in blisters) but the oddest part is I haven't even seen a single cave blob in the caverns at all, it's just randomly appearing puddles of cave blob fluid all over the place

There's a longstanding bug which causes contaminants to multiply. Likely one dwarf stepped in some cave blob fluid in a cavern, then headed outside where rain washed the fluid to a puddle on the ground. Other dwarves/animals then stepped in the puddle, became contaminated, and created more puddles when they too were rained on.

The best decontamination procedure is to run "clean" in dfhack. Without dfhack, you can clean your dwarves/animals using a "bathtub", store the animals inside, and build roads/floors over the puddles in order to remove them.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 02:29:00 pm »

It was there before I even opened the caverns
EDIT: The weirdest part is that I haven't seen a single cave blob or seen any cave blob fluid in the caverns or inside my fortress