Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recovery of mid-plan-carefully pre-Fort embark? 43.05  (Read 1614 times)

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
Recovery of mid-plan-carefully pre-Fort embark? 43.05
« on: August 18, 2016, 10:12:36 am »

I spent a day copying the starting 7 dwarf's relevant info into a text file so I could refer to it all on the same page...
this is instead of using Dwarf Therapist of course, since it is not yet available for the latest version.

So, I got almost finished planning my embark carefully... choosing starting items and skills,
then I went to sleep, but left the PC on.
 I guess the power must have gone out because I woke up and all is shut down.

I DID save the starting "build" to a file, but that seems to only have saved the items I picked to take.

Is there a way to recover the same starting dwarves and save the hours of work I did copying their preferences and personality to a file?

I tried embarking at the same place (or I believe the same place) with same civilization, in the same world, but it gave me different dwarves. =\

Maybe there is a way to start a custom-like game and choose the dwarves I have in my ref./note file as my starting seven?
Anyone know of this kind of hack/mod?
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recovery of mid-plan-carefully pre-Fort embark? 43.05
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 11:57:47 am »

My uninformed guess is that you're probably out of luck. Any tool would probably be based on/part of DFHack.
Thus, the best I can offer is to select skills and items, embark, save immediately, and only THEN do the spreadsheet thing, i.e. the hindsight solution.

The GOOD thing about getting different dwarves on different embark attempts is that you can look at the lot you get, decide that you don't like it, back out, and retry. I've done that to ensure the starting 7 are evenly balanced gender wise and are lacking visible reproduction hindering traits to increase the odds that I'll actually be able to renew the dwarven race from a truly dead civ.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 08:29:09 pm »

Don't think so. Assuming your civilization has about 200 dwarves and it picks them from among civ if possible (they can also be generated from the void but I recall one story 1,5 months ago that mentioned one of the starting 7 having fought in goblin invasion), there's something like 200!/7!? to 1 odds of picking those exact 7 in that exact order.

? Maybe not quite correct, but you get the idea.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 01:43:22 am »

Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen anything but void dorfs among the starting 7 (but I generally play dead or dying civs).

However, I thought one of the points with the embark point allocation to be that none of them should have any previous skills, and so require you to wastespend embark points on skills if you want them to have any.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 04:36:07 am »

It was in thread A DF Comic Complete! (this page in particular)

I've heard of getting legendary musicans at embark in a more estabilished world, but haven't done any research on this.

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 02:17:09 am »

Hmm, thanks for the replys guys... since I blew about 5 hours on this little "oops",
I haven't had the heart to play any DF, but soon I may give it another go...
or maybe I'll drop back to 43.03 so I can use Therapist? 

Does anyone know if any of the things listed in the changelogs for 43.04 and 43.05 are a "big deal" for normal Fortress gameplay?
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 03:16:56 am »

The only bug solved in 43.04 is that sell a Masterwork to a caravan count as Masterwork destruction when the caravan left.
I sell masterwork roast to buy all the caravan, but my legendary cooked get stressed.
I think that masterwork furniture for the cooker is enough, but i fear a tantrum spiral.

The good point, this bug make me play Vanilla DF for first time, without the help of DF.... and thanks to the community I learn that a good Macro for assign jobs to inmigrants its enough, i don't need Therapist. But I missed autoclean plugin, and expanded stocks.
Accept that DF is more fun when you play bad, the difficult has been scale down, and if you survive the FB, Titans and sieges, sometime the Beast become extint, and the other civilization don't have enough population to sending more sieges.

43.05 its a 64 bit Dwarf Fortress, that can use more RAM to solved certain crash. But adapt DFHack to 64 bit... I think we stuck with 43.03 LNP for a long time.

Play in LNP, don't sell Masterwork items, and learn the game until the unavoidable destruction of your fortress (with beast, sieges, tantrums spirals or classic FPS death).
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 12:58:10 pm »

If it prevents you from even playing, don't put so much pressure on yourself to create a perfect embark. It can be really fun, sure, but it's made fairly irrelevant by the third migrant wave when you have more dwarves than you know what to do with. Just play! Save a really basic embark profile and work from that point.