Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Huzzah for Ambition!  (Read 687 times)

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Huzzah for Ambition!
« on: February 04, 2008, 06:52:00 pm »

So far, I've abandoned every fortress, save one, for stupid mistakes. Then an idea popped up into my head. I immediately generated a new world (don't want to lose that fortress which works!), and nearly immediately found the perfect spot for my idea.

An underwater glass fortress hidden under a terrifying tundra.

This necessitated sand, a terrifying tundra, and an aquifer, which I have found in seed 1237321700. There's a HUGE purple area to the far southeast, and in the Blighted Blizzard of Meanness seven very brave, very idiotic dwarves are going to try to construct the ultimate Adventurer Death Trap, Esmomuz Zasarel Shezrod, Clearcrypt the Crystalline Waters of Crotches.

Wait.

How about Esmomuz Zasarel Disuth, Clearcrypt the Crystalline Waters of Nightmares?

Nah, too contrived.

I got it! Esmomuz Zasarel Anan, Clearcrypt the Crystalline Waters of Night!

Any bets on how long (short) I'm going to last?  :D

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Huzzah for Ambition!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 07:39:00 pm »

Two minutes?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 08:07:00 pm »

I'll give you until the end of the first year.
Here's hoping for skelks.
 find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 09:59:00 pm »

Request:  Name your mechanic MacGuyver and use him to build unconventional yet effective defenses.

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 10:06:00 pm »

So far, only zelks and zombie musk ox have been wandering around, generally avoiding my settlement.

Actually, I think I'll do a log type story for this fortress...

20th Slate, 1051
Dear Diary. My chest hurts. But perhaps I should explain who I am, first. I am Ingrish Delerushul, in the common tongue my last name would be Steelrealms. I was assigned to this desolate wasteland for one reason... I had a vision of a majestic Dwarven fortress unlike any other, and for some reason, it was to be placed here. Only four others from the homestead were insane enough to come with me, "An underwater glass fortress underneath the tundra where the zombies walk?" the others would ask.

Fortunately I held some influence over two others who came with us as bodyguards, skilled hunters and marksdwarves. I had saved them from a zombie attack last year, that is why they agreed to come with.

Armok bless my axe.

Why does my chest hurt? Those damn zombies. Zombie musk ox, in fact, who got a little too near our settlement, and so the three of us charged them; I stuck nearly all of them down, but not before being kicked in the chest, which has placed me into bed here. Not even in the chamber which will be my own! And my friend Alath Eturtekkud, the bookkeeper and glassmaker, wandered around with a bucket for almost a week before getting the water out of the aquifer!

Ah, yes, the aquifer, it hangs over my head, an oppressive presence. The cold here is a good thing in regard to that aquifer, allowing us to dig a wide pit to freeze the water of it and dig past it.

I just wish those two miners would finish excavating the temporary storage area, I'm worried about our stockpiles up on top of the snow and ice.

Here comes Alath with the food now, good thing too. I'm famished!

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 10:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
<STRONG>Request:  Name your mechanic MacGuyver and use him to build unconventional yet effective defenses.</STRONG>

Requests! I hadn't though people would want a dwarf in a place almost destined to die, especially what with me having posted so few posts! Cool!

Well, the only person with the mechanic skill is also the bookkeeper and glassmaker, so I guess MacGuyver will be rather busy...

What's a good way to show images in this thread of the Dwarf's thoughts and such?

21st Slate, 1051
Dear Diary.
Alath came up to me today, with a fish and an odd request. Seems that in this new place, he wants to be called MacGuyver, for some odd reason. I've never heard of that name before, but I acquiesced to his request. I had to, really, for he wouldn't give me that fish without saying, "Yes! Yes! I'll do it!"

My chest still hurts.

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »

2nd Hematite, 1051
Things are looking up! I made a full recovery, and at the same time Our current needs have been met. All of our rooms have been dug out, as has the underground storage, farms, dining room, etc. MacGuyver has started recording everything we have... not much. Thankfully, our farms are producing those easy to grow mushrooms, albeit only a few at a time... but I'm sure that we'll be able to get by for a while. At least until the dwarven caravan happens by, if indeed they will... I know that some dwarves back at the homestead were interested in our settlement idea, if only a morbid interest.

Elks and Musk Oxen! Why are there none alive? We need meat!