Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any Mods Fix Climbing?  (Read 935 times)

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any Mods Fix Climbing?
« on: August 08, 2016, 11:50:28 pm »

Are there any mods, even with DFHack, that fix the problem with fort members climbing into trees and forgetting how to climb back down?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any Mods Fix Climbing?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 12:56:57 am »

I don't know much about modding, but I would guess that it's not possible for a mod to teach dwarves to climb down or jump off from trees. Though, I wonder if there'd be anything wrong with removing a dwarf's ability to climb.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 11:04:34 am »

DFHack does things like let enemies DIG into your fortress so I don't see why a small pathing fix would be out of the question. The issue was that I was trying to make a custom entity that has high default climbing and they get all stuck in trees ten minutes into the game. If I can't fix it I won't bother with that entity for a while.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 05:42:29 pm »

You could add [CANNOT_CLIMB] to the dwarf creature in the creature_standard.txt document in the RAW folder. That would stop dwarves from climbing altogether.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 06:37:09 pm »

You could add [CANNOT_CLIMB] to the dwarf creature in the creature_standard.txt document in the RAW folder. That would stop dwarves from climbing altogether.

Do you think this would have a benificial effect on pathfinding?

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 03:36:36 am »

Do you think this would have a benificial effect on pathfinding?

Hmm, it might. Dwarves will sometimes climb over walls and things so it is possible that the pathfinding algorithm is taking climbing into account. I don't know how much of a boost you would get though. Probably not much, but I suppose every little bit helps.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531