Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Filling a canyon with water  (Read 710 times)

Demology

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Filling a canyon with water
« on: February 04, 2008, 11:02:00 am »

Ok i was wondering how i could make the u bend bug so i can fill my canyon up with water.
And also how long does it take to fill an area, lets say 2X1 embark space 5z lvls?
Also i need to know a safe way to disabeling it, will a floodgate at the right spot temporarily disable it or will it get blown away by the pressure?
i dont really need to stop it since i can just let it get drained away in the edges of the area but it would be nice.

Also ive noticed my broken df has managed to send an impressive array of creatures against me, im tradeing with goblins humans and kobolts. and im getting all kinds of weird creatures to pop up like gremling thiefs etc.

[ February 04, 2008: Message edited by: Demology ]

ilnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Filling a canyon with water
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 11:21:00 am »

wqater pressure does not affet built items so a floodgate is fine,
as for the filling time, it depends entirely on your processer due to the volume of liquid involved.
recomend using multiple u bends to maximise framerate usage
 laugh in the face of danger,
then i run away.

Demology

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 11:43:00 am »

ok then il build 6 bends, 3 on each side of the river, and 2 drains on each side of the map incase my leader feels like takeing a swim.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 11:53:00 am »

The spinning !!data!! hits your CPU.
It's mangled !
Your dwarf fortress feels sluggish.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Demology

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 01:12:00 pm »

when i think about it looks almost like it has morphed itself to create a dark elf race or something, since i do not seem to trade with humans or dwarfs at all, but goblins are like my main traders comming in with the big caravans.
Wonder what happens the next time i delete DF

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »

Hm... Rivendell style... Has anyone tried to make a dam composed entirely of... floodgates? Ie. a 10-15 story dam walling off a dead end gorge, attaching all floodgates to a single lever, filling it with water and then pulling the lever to see the entire dam dissapear in one move?

This would be so much fun if done next to fortress gate for purposes of drowning goblins, nazgul and friends.

Demology

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 02:08:00 pm »

damn that sounds like a nice idea for one of my oldest forts,
it had an artificial dam buildt next to my fort and the trade rute went by it around and up on top of it.

Demology

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 02:13:00 pm »

damnit think i just lost my fort, Bastard wizards on fire
Next time il remember putting in emergency sprinklers incase of fire

[ February 04, 2008: Message edited by: Demology ]