Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has fire gotten more fiery?  (Read 990 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has fire gotten more fiery?
« on: August 12, 2016, 10:08:13 am »

I'm running a fort in the latest version, and a fire-breathing FB appeared in cavern 3. Because of its desire to incinerate every threat, I got periodic "cave in" reports from the depths as trees were felled in flame. This got annoying.

I figured "ya know, I've taken down fire breathers before without problem, why not breach the cavern, lure it up, and kill it? What could possibly go wrong?"

For one thing, I breached the cavern using the wrong staircase and loosed the monster in corridor not far from our farms, which wasn't ideal, but something else...

In the past, it'd seemed that shields were usually pretty effective at blocking fire attacks, but this thing seemed to startlingly efficient at giving my dwarves fatal burns! They gave it a good beating with the first attack, sustaining moderate casualties, and then it retreated. When, badly banged up, it returned second time I was amazed to see it destroy 90% of the dwarves I sent after it. I couldn't even tell through the smoke how it died, though it did.

Has fire-breathing gotten more dangerous in a recent update? Or did I just encounter a peculiarly lucky enormous fire-spitting toad?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has fire gotten more fiery?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 10:58:00 am »

With temperature on, flameables can ignite from heat of adjacent tiles.  i.e fire + wall + flameable item will go on flame due to wall being hot enough. 

Burn / Fire damage also leads to blood loss, and enough blood loss = dead.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 10:24:00 pm »

Yeah, Toady One mentioned that he buffed fire effects in general a bit in 43.03, along with making dragonfire melt metal.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 04:47:41 am »

I can tell you that in the current version, dragonfire will straight-up incinerate dwarves with a direct hit, even through steel shields and armor. The dwarf will literally evaporate, masterwork equipment and all, leaving no trace of there ever having been a unit in that tile and necessitating a memorial.

Even regular fire-breath will wear away your items and eventually destroy your armor completely, if your dwarf doesn't melt first.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 07:48:20 am »

Someone on another thread hypothesized that the heat also lingers, making dwarves reluctant to path across the recently-flamed area until it cools. That's intense, and makes firebreathing a much scarier threat.

Well, I was thinking that forgotten beasts had been getting a bit too easy...

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 06:10:21 pm »

I can tell you that in the current version, dragonfire will straight-up incinerate dwarves with a direct hit, even through steel shields and armor. The dwarf will literally evaporate, masterwork equipment and all, leaving no trace of there ever having been a unit in that tile and necessitating a memorial.

Even regular fire-breath will wear away your items and eventually destroy your armor completely, if your dwarf doesn't melt first.
Hm, guess that means no more haphazardly throwing soldiers at a dragon.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 09:14:23 pm »

So, throw what, if you doesn't have enough elves?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 10:11:45 pm »

What counts as regular fire-breath?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 01:05:34 am »

What counts as regular fire-breath?
The emission of fire-breathing forgotten beasts, I presume.

So, throw what, if you doesn't have enough elves?
I was thinking siege engines, or maybe war animals in a pinch. Expendable elf mercenaries, or better yet a modded caste of servile breeding elves usable as cannon fodder, would probably be more !!Fun!! though.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext