Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is your opinion of video Dwarf Fortress tutorials?

Played out, they've already been done over and over.
- 3 (1.9%)
Tutorials for the latest game versions are useful.
- 22 (14.3%)
Latest game versions are similar enough to older versions for past tutorials to be relevant.
- 14 (9.1%)
They are not necessary to learn DF, only the wiki and time.
- 21 (13.6%)
They are the best way to learn to play Dwarf Fortress.
- 6 (3.9%)
They are fun to watch.
- 13 (8.4%)
There are many players who would pick up Dwarf Fortress if they could more easily learn it.
- 20 (13%)
You watch tutorials even as a seasoned player.
- 9 (5.8%)
You learned to play the game through video let's plays/tutorials
- 14 (9.1%)
There is an audience for DF tutorials.
- 19 (12.3%)
The DF tutorials that have been done are not satisfactory.
- 2 (1.3%)
The DF tutorials that have been done don't cover advanced topics.
- 11 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: August 11, 2016, 03:53:24 pm

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Are Dwarf Fortress tutorials still relevant/useful? [Poll]  (Read 4803 times)

fonzacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are Dwarf Fortress tutorials still relevant/useful? [Poll]
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 01:04:39 am »

when i first started playing, i skimmed through dastactic tutorial 7-11 to get basic functions of the game, while also using the wiki. for more advanced things, id prefer a video example to help. ill jump over back to their channel and watch. i actually download the videos since i think its easier than watching it on youtube. for example, moats, wells, squad management/training, pumps, windmills, water wheels, and the dreaded minecarts. minecarts are still no mans land for me though.

we all know this is very open ended. when i done a blooper, i just cant fix it and will just DFhacks die and hope it all goes well this time.

RayJam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Are Dwarf Fortress tutorials still relevant/useful? [Poll]
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 01:30:40 am »

Das (Youtube name changed to DasTactic), did some video's last year that pretty extensive that covered everything during a few month period of last year with the current build then. 

These are exactly the kind of videos I see everyone making and I want to completely avoid. Those are absurdly long and unfocused

This comment makes me think you were looking at his Let's Plays, which are indeed different from his much more focused tutorial videos. His LP series go heavily into back stories, legends, etc. as he really likes to play a story vs. other folks who might min/max. Check again for his tutorial series which is what Kyrxx is referring to. While I prefer wiki-style guides generally, DasTactic vids are right up there.

You're completely right... man I feel like a jerkoff
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 01:34:49 am by RayJam »
Pages: 1 [2]