Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Framerate-brainstorming thread  (Read 608 times)

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Framerate-brainstorming thread
« on: October 29, 2007, 11:53:00 pm »

I figure that the problem is widspead enough to warrant one of these.

I've been testing to see if specific starting areas/starting sizes cause the said slowdown. Initially I thought that the initial-size designation was the only size that DIDN'T cause a slowdown, after testing a few standard-sized maps. However, after trying a slightly larger one, I still got no slowdown.

Now I'm finding that on even larger maps, I'm not getting ANY slowdown, and that it can be any shape (rectangular or square).

EDIT: After some mining in one of my test games, the framerate dropped slightly,  although not as drastically as in others.

So my theory is that after a certain number of world-loading/fortress generations/something that happens whenever you start a new fortress, the problem solves itself for some weird reason. This would also explain why Today didn't pick up on something so obvious.

Ideas/tests/feedback, please.

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: Kjoery ]

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Framerate-brainstorming thread
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 12:37:00 am »

So far I have fabulous speed when I first start out, but after a season or so the framerate tanks.  My fortress is still very small, and there aren't any more objects in it than there would be in a fortress of the same age in the old version - if anything, there are fewer.  I have used 3 of the z-levels, but I haven't gone far on any of them.  The framerate seemed to tank shortly after I started draining a pond, so I thought maybe it had something to do with that.  I do hope the game doesn't become unplayable, but it's heading in that direction.  :(

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 12:41:00 am »

come to think of it, I believe the lag started for me when I dug under (but did not drain!) a pond.

I didn't think anything of it, but if sappho's problem started while messing with a pond maybe there is a connection?

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 01:08:00 am »

Alright, this is really odd...but I tested on 3 different fortresses.  when I follow the dwarves into the depths of the fortress, or when I go above or below my starting area, my fps drops very quickly.  down about 20 or so.  but if I keep my screen centered outside, especially near the area I started (hit F1) then it jacks back up to 100.  I've been sitting with my screen there when the dwarves are sleeping, then popping back in to give orders.  Works pretty well.
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 03:07:00 am »

Can someone who has FPS turned on check to see if it runs faster when the menu and map are turned on?  It's drawing less area, so...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 05:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>Can someone who has FPS turned on check to see if it runs faster when the menu and map are turned on?  It's drawing less area, so...</STRONG>

If the FRAPS FPS thingy counts... yeah, having the map/menu on made a difference in my game.

However it seems that when viewing a completely un-mined area (completely black) it slows to a crawl, even when paused it's slower. And I consistently see a drop in FPS in relation to the amount of 'black' shown.