Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Archery distance and skill improvement  (Read 1021 times)

allenp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Archery distance and skill improvement
« on: April 13, 2008, 06:12:00 pm »

Hi everyone,

I couldn't find this in the wiki or previous discussions - does the distance from the archery target (or live target) increase the amount of skill gained by marksdwarfs? How far do you usually set your practice targets?

I will update the wiki with the answer when I get it.

Thanks!  :)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archery distance and skill improvement
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 07:04:00 pm »

I believe it's 30 XP for firing (or throwing or siege-operating), regardless how far.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »

You can try in adventure-mode, by the way: stand next to the broad side of a barn and fire; note down the XP.  Then, stand in a wide plain and fire at a boulder at the edge of your sight; note down the XP.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 07:32:00 am »

I have noticed that shooting at a living target seems to speed xp gain up.  I have a couple marksdwarves that have slooowly been training at the archery range, which brought them up all of 1-2 skill points over the coursse of 3 or so years.  I built some fortificcations along the side of the ccave river, and had them safely snipe off the river creatures, and they 1-2 levels on single stacks of bolts before they went back  for more ammo!
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 07:32:00 am »

grr double post

[ April 14, 2008: Message edited by: Keldor ]

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 07:44:00 am »

quote:
I have noticed that shooting at a living target seems to speed xp gain up.

I think that shooting at live creatures give +50% shooting xp or something (which makes sense after all).  Maybe the wiki knows?

MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 08:20:00 am »

30exp for each shot at a living target, 7.5 exp (or something) for archery range, regardless or range
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos