Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Are my defenses good enough?  (Read 2885 times)

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are my defenses good enough?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 09:44:27 pm »

Your defenses are never good enough. Dwarf fortress is dark and full of terrors.

With sufficiently well-designed obsidianizers and squirt guns (and perhaps some of the more extreme cart grinders or live-ammo-shotguns), good enough is no longer the issue, as there is nothing in the game other than ghosts that can get past them. The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Well said!
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2016, 08:34:55 pm »

Your defenses are never good enough till they scare a WW1 soldier so horribly they would rather fight the battle of Verdun again than even contemplate having to get past your forts defenses.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2016, 11:11:28 am »

Always assume something will go wrong, assume your dwarves WILL refuse to man the defenses or actually fight or anything of the sort, assume that you get a winged steel blob forgotten beast with webbing and thrall making dust

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2016, 11:36:02 am »

Can you get thrall making dust on FBs? I thought that was limited to just evil clouds, on account of not having read any stories of auto-thralled titans/FBs/demons leading a massive undead army from the surface/depths of earth.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2016, 01:11:12 pm »

I don't know if it can or not

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2016, 05:40:59 am »

assuming everything goes wrong, i built the "moat with walls and lip", "drawbridge for wagon", "drawbridge with line of cagetraps for dorfs" aboveground and "direct path with cagetraps and speartraps" with a longer path for the wagon, both lined with watchdogs and sided by traps again to catch fleeing/panicking enemies and after between the tradedepot and the actual entry, the same constellation again. i'll post screens :D
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 2 [3]