Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What causes the game to crash without an errorlog?  (Read 911 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
What causes the game to crash without an errorlog?
« on: August 02, 2016, 10:53:41 am »

I've been doing some modding for dwarf 4tress from scratch, and I keep coming up on stuff causing the game to crash without an errorlog. If you would list all the things(from modding) that can cause the game to crash without an errorlog, it would be much appreciated
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: What causes the game to crash without an errorlog?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 06:30:28 am »

If you want a list of modding attempts that cause crashes, you should probably check out the Bug Tracker (since any crash, by definition, is a bug). Furthermore, if you want to help the community, you should report all of the modding-related crashes you've encountered on said bug tracker (after searching and ensuring they haven't already been reported, of course) so that Toady can fix them and so that other modders can avoid them in the meanwhile - simply asking people to post all of their information in your thread (without actually posting any yourself) probably won't be very effective.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 10:06:16 am »

If you want a list of modding attempts that cause crashes, you should probably check out the Bug Tracker (since any crash, by definition, is a bug). Furthermore, if you want to help the community, you should report all of the modding-related crashes you've encountered on said bug tracker (after searching and ensuring they haven't already been reported, of course) so that Toady can fix them and so that other modders can avoid them in the meanwhile - simply asking people to post all of their information in your thread (without actually posting any yourself) probably won't be very effective.
The only information I've got on crashes is that the spoilered stuff cause crashes. I wanted to know what might be causing the vampire spawn crash.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FantasticDorf told me the Cave Chocolate is crashing because there is no soil underground for them to root into.
The mushrooms have no roots and grow on the moss directly.
The Vampire spawn may be crashing, because I have [IT_REQUIRES:FIT_FOR_ANIMATION], instead of [IT_REQUIRES:FIT_FOR_RESURRECTION] and the interaction resurrects.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 02:18:20 pm »

I recently discovered that if you do not have at least one item of every type defined you will get random crashes when trying to embark. The weird thing it it doesn't always crash, just sometimes, and if it crashes for a certain biome it will always crash for that biome...

I suppose others knew about this crash before, but it isn't written down anywhere.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS