Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If I leave my fortress...  (Read 836 times)

Zabin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
If I leave my fortress...
« on: April 13, 2008, 02:35:00 am »

And come back, what will the dwarves I leave behind do? Do they just no longer interact with my new people? Will the eat my new people's food?

Also, how can I kill them off to avoid this? I want to live in the same base with a fresh set of people.

am the Peanut God.
Fear me, for I am real.
Love me, for I am real.
Worship me, for I am real.
Also, bring me some toast, for I am hungry.

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If I leave my fortress...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 03:06:00 am »

they'll just mill about aimlessly and won't do anything.  i suppose they will attack invaders, but i haven't seen that yet.  you can kill them off without making anybody mad but you have to do it before your new dwarves make friends with them.

also, your old domestic pets will be dead and rotten when you arrive with the new crew, but i once abandoned a fortress that had about 20 wardogs and they were still alive when i reclaimed the fortress, i just couldn't do anything with them.  maybe you can cage them and tame them or something, i can't say.

cause of unexplainable mischief

Zabin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 03:08:00 am »

I mean HOW do I kill them? I can't figure it out.
 am the Peanut God.
Fear me, for I am real.
Love me, for I am real.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 03:25:00 am »

Collapse the floor under their feet (or the ceiling above their heads). Flood them. Ballista' them. I'm sure you can complete this list.

Zabin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 03:28:00 am »

I don't think you understand, I'm not looking for creative ways, I'm asking HOW you attack the people. What buttons do you press to engage the attack?
 am the Peanut God.
Fear me, for I am real.
Love me, for I am real.

Fuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 04:06:00 am »

I don't think there is a button to do that.
tray Kitten (Tame) has adopted Fuzz.  Bay Watcher.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 06:24:00 am »

AFAIK, you can't force a dwarf to shoot another dwarf. Thus you have to be creative. You can activate them and send them where you want "go fish in the carp river!" or herd everyone to a room, lock the door and let them all starve.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 08:31:00 am »

He is talking about the catatonic dwarves in reclaim. The best thing you can do to get rid of them is use a utility to change what civ they belong to to the goblins. Or make them go berserk. Or Use the hurt option to severely injure them. Or something else.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 09:14:00 am »

if you mean attack them in am, its the capital A i think, or small a
een failing lately?

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 10:00:00 am »

If you haven't already left the original group of dwarves, then, since you are in control of them, you can do something like what Kanil said.  Easiest that I can think of at the moment would probably be to create a room with a raising draw bridge that fills the whole room (except for one square with the lever for the bridge).  Use (i) to place a meeting zone in there near the base of the raising bridge (and delete all other meeting zones).  When a few people are in there, pull the lever.  *SQUASH*  Hopefully the last person will at some point have no job (disabling all his job types would help, obviously) and will be hanging around.  He'll pull the lever on himself, and hopefully he'll wander quickly back to the meeting zone so that he'll get crushed when the bridge finally falls.

Zabin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 12:29:00 pm »

Alright, sorry, with people saying "kill your dwarves..." in a lot of challenges I thought there was a way to do it by just attacking them.

But part of my other question, if I don't kill them, will they still be eating my food the next time around? Because, I kinda left without killing them, and I'm totally lost trying to find it in adventure mode. No big map makes it hard.

am the Peanut God.
Fear me, for I am real.
Love me, for I am real.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »

Just play adventure mode for a few minutes, and they'll go away. At the moment, migrants don't update properly during dwarf mode.