Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Companions killing each other  (Read 968 times)

Strato1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Companions killing each other
« on: July 24, 2016, 12:42:08 am »

I'm new to DF.

Short summary of my experience thus far:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, on my most recent adventure, I got a dwarf spearman and a human swordsman to join me as companions.  (Yes, I used companions on my previous attempts).  Krogan, the dwarf spearman, often mentioned getting into arguments with the swordsman (don't remember his name), but I never thought much of it.  I suppose I should have thought more about the implications.

While traveling through a town, trying to reach the tavern before dark, Krogan began attacking the swordsman!  I was greatly distressed by the possibility of losing one of my companions...but couldn't do anything to stop the fight.  I could only stand and watch as the swordsman's teeth went flying across the street.  The swordsman never did more to Krogan than to rip some skin on his neck...while the swordsman sustained a ridiculous amount of damage before succumbing to death by suffocation (not quite sure how...did he drown in his pool of blood)?

Anyway, I suppose the point of this post is to ask... is there any way to prevent this from happening again, or to stop the fight before it escalates?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:44:40 am by Strato1 »

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Companions killing each other
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 02:51:42 am »

Sounds like a brawl gone horribly wrong, not sure there's anything you can do to stop it. You could probably talk them into sharing more of the same values, which should alleviate the arguing a bit... or maybe one of them was just going out of his way to be an asshole and it had nothing to do with his actual values.

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 03:55:12 am »

Possible solution -

Step 1: Argue with someone unimportant repeatedly, trying to convince them of some value, until you get your Judge Of Intent and Persuader skills up to... Legendary

Step 2: Brainwash both your companions without them ever talking back at you in ill will~

It's tedious, though!

Strato1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 03:01:38 pm »

Thanks for the replies!  I guess I'll have to remember this for my next (and hopefully more long-lived) adventurer.   :)

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 06:02:26 pm »

I didn't know they could actually get into a fight with each other :D

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 09:53:24 am »

Death by suffocation usually indicates some form of serious lung trauma.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 10:44:21 am »

Yeah, in one of my first adventures, I was evacuating dwarves from a fort that was being marched upon to a safer fort, when one of the dwarves suddenly decided to start fighting one of my other companions(this was in 40.24, and I was unable to fast-travel because I was in mountains). One of them accidently charged into me and I fell of a cliff :D.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 08:07:49 pm »

Yeah, in one of my first adventures, I was evacuating dwarves from a fort that was being marched upon to a safer fort, when one of the dwarves suddenly decided to start fighting one of my other companions(this was in 40.24, and I was unable to fast-travel because I was in mountains). One of them accidently charged into me and I fell of a cliff :D.

Wow, I remember on one of my first adventures too I evacuated a fort that was being marched up