Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Army Starving to death.  (Read 1404 times)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
Army Starving to death.
« on: April 12, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

My army keeps starving or thirsting to death, I in my ignorance was sure that a squad would get water and food when needed too. But no. Am I just very unlucky or is it suposed to be that way?
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Army Starving to death.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »

Take them off-duty. Soldiers on-duty will keep doing what you tell them to do until they croak or fall over unconscious. Soldiers off-duty will see to their own needs, and will also spar to improve their military skills.

(To take them off-duty: m->v->t).

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 09:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>Take them off-duty. Soldiers on-duty will keep doing what you tell them to do until they croak or fall over unconscious. Soldiers off-duty will see to their own needs, and will also spar to improve their military skills.

(To take them off-duty: m->v->t).</STRONG>

Actually, on duty soldiers will still eat and drink before going to their stations.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 11:23:00 pm »

I set my military dwarves to carry full rations (and give them the means to do so), and they've been at their posts for over a year now.  They just wander off to the well or food stores when they need to, and spend the rest of the time waiting for goblins to show up.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 11:28:00 pm »

Are they set to carry rations?  This is a wild guess here, but if you don't have backpacks around, maybe they're trying to put food in the backpacks before eating, and never getting to the actual eating.

Likewise with carry water/waterskins.

[ April 13, 2008: Message edited by: Footkerchief ]

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 09:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
[QB]Take them off-duty. Soldiers on-duty will keep doing what you tell them to do until they croak or fall over unconscious.

If that were actually true, the military wouldn't be so useless.

Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 09:21:00 am »

Soldiers will still go get food and water whether they are on duty or not.  Make sure they can actually get to a food/water source.  Maybe you have them stationed in a tower that is locked?
Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object