Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noob question, how do you get currency (coins)?  (Read 914 times)

armok of blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noob question, how do you get currency (coins)?
« on: July 13, 2016, 10:59:24 am »

Let me preface my question with a brief story.
While searching for a place to restock on food, I wandered into a keep. I left the keep and headed south, and to my surprise, I found a market. A sprawling market with stalls run by elves and goblins and humans and dwarves. I decided to trade in some of my stuff for food, as I was encumbered by loot from a tomb I'd raided. I was still encumbered by my heavier armor, so since I figured I'd take mobility over metal sheeting for that run, I wanted to trade it for lighter, more practical coins...

...Except that none of the merchants seemed to have any money. :(
I was trying to use the ask "for/offer currency" option, but no matter what I offered, the prompt to specify how much always displayed 0-0, implying that the merchant(s) had no coins.
It is possible to get coins by trading, right?
It's not like an idea has to make sense for people to cling to it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Noob question, how do you get currency (coins)?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 06:13:00 pm »

Are you sure that doesn't mean you have no coins? Shouldn't you be [a]sking, not [o]ffering coins?

On the v0.34 version of the wiki it says to ask for an exorbitant amount of coins, and then the merchant will reduce it to the actual value. It's missing on the DF2014 version, so I'm not sure what the deal is there.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 06:14:58 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 06:41:41 pm »

Say, I went to a clothes shop, marked one of my heavy iron bolts for trade, then marked a stack of [200] gold coins the shopkeeper had for trade too.

I reduced that number until the shopkeeper thought it was fair. Voila, I got money light and comfortable to carry around in a pocket.

I used the coins to buy some food from a market (this time using ask/offer currency) and the vendor even gave me change in copper and silver coins.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 06:59:29 pm »

I reduced that number until the shopkeeper thought it was fair. Voila, I got money light and comfortable to carry around in a pocket.
Does it not do it automatically anymore? I don't recall if there was a change log about this or not. It seems only vaguely familiar.

Edit: It's not mentioned. Could have been one of the many unlisted changes of 0.40.01.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 07:09:25 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

armok of blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 03:03:44 am »

Are you sure that doesn't mean you have no coins? Shouldn't you be [a]sking, not [o]ffering coins?

On the v0.34 version of the wiki it says to ask for an exorbitant amount of coins, and then the merchant will reduce it to the actual value. It's missing on the DF2014 version, so I'm not sure what the deal is there.
Yes, I'm asking for coins.
Meh, my game crashed and I hadn't found the place the last time I saved.
I just looted a camp and found some coins. Dropped off my heavier gear so I could walk faster than 0.250
It's not like an idea has to make sense for people to cling to it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 06:37:41 pm »

You should be aware that coins of one civ can't be traded to another. I'm pretty sure coins aren't even the best weight-value ratio item. I think gems might be better? I'm not sure what gives the best ratio, while also being commonly buyable.