Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get rid of a flying tree?  (Read 1781 times)

HansBr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to get rid of a flying tree?
« on: July 11, 2016, 07:42:27 am »

Hello,
my fortress somehow grew a tree in thin air, meaning there is empty space under it.

I can not reach it from any side. But I can absolutely not have it here.
There were some "collapsed on the surface" earlier in the game. I thought nothing at that point. Just made a note to send some dwarfs scouting for meteor iron later. And played on. And forgot that note.
Now there is that hoovertree.

What do I do? Maybe, because I gave an elf bard an axe and send him tree cutting this tree panicked and jumped?

Edit: df 43.04 Linux version.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 07:44:24 am by HansBr »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: How to get rid of a flying tree?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 07:46:05 am »

Build a platform up to it seems the most obvious solution
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 08:06:02 am »

Does the tree remain standing/supported when you build a floor on it/when you save and reload?

Flying Forest Retreats :D

HansBr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 08:12:07 am »

Does the tree remain standing/supported when you build a floor on it/when you save and reload?
Saving and reloading works fine. Have not tested the flooring.

You want a save for some experimentation? (Don't expect anything fancy in this fort. I am a casual gamer with very basic knowledge.)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 08:41:49 am »

Ways to consistently reproduce cooler yet, but save wouldn't hurt :)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 08:52:03 am »

It happens from time to time, but the cause hasn't been identified yet. As far as I understand, most or all cases involve the tree originally growing on ground that's no longer there, typically because of a cave-in (but in at least one because of channeling the ground away). These trees seem to re-appear and re-fall although I'm not sure they'll reappear in exactly the same place or not. Building a stair up to it such that a dorf can cut it from the normal position should work to remove it, but it's unknown whether it will regrow. I also definitely won't guarantee the tree will remain suspended until you get time to cut it down...

HansBr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 09:41:29 am »

That save is rather big (52M with compression). Seems I accidentally created a big world. Do you know a good fileshareserver that accepts that size?

I think there was a tree before I channeled there. I remember a tree hanging in the branches of an other tree, outside that moat. When i cut that other tree down that was the first surface cave in here.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 12:28:35 pm »

I'd upload the save here http://dffd.bay12games.com/submit.php. There should already be at least one bug report on this bug I failed to find them while searching, so either doing a more effective search and link the uploaded save to it or a new report the bug tracking maintainers can link to a root report is probably a good idea.

HansBr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 01:50:31 pm »

So I did a little bit on research on this.
Step 1:
- Created a test world (pocket, very short history)
- Embark in a high forested area. (Seems to have no metal, but that is irrelevant for this test)
- Let an existing tree float. For this I waited a year to let the branches grow into each others tree area, then digged one tree free.
So far a success.

Next step:
Cut down trees around it and see if it regrows.

This time i have a save: https://5sl.org/~bretscher/df.test.flyingtree.001.tar.xz