Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You know you've found a good location when...  (Read 1097 times)

ChaosFollowing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosfollowing.com
You know you've found a good location when...
« on: January 31, 2008, 07:02:00 am »

You know you've found a good location when your two miners(including the one with all your noble skills) drown before the first summer, and you decide to continue with the fort.

Alright, to be fair it was also the fact that the initial fortress design was proving extremely promising...sadly I miscalculated when channelling my brook into a moat.

But I shall continue nevertheless! Immigration...one or more miners please.

ChaosFollowing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You know you've found a good location when...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 07:13:00 am »

Alright...so then my Bone Carver makes a masterpiece item and it gets stolen a day later by a kobold thief.

One berserk rage later, I'm down to four dwarves. On the bright side, I'd just run out of bone and shell. A minor setback.

ChaosFollowing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 07:38:00 am »

Oh, and my Mason/Mechanic got an injured leg during the take-down of the crazy Bone Carver, so she's been lying on the ground, so I have an effective workforce of three.

My woodcutter/carpenter is emerging as the new leader. Made a bed, buckets, and declared a water source but apparently we don't have the necessary dwarf-power to spare time to shift the injured to bed.

And what's this? Migrants already? Hooray! Let's see...they've sent me a tailor, a miller, a milker, a wood carver, three peasants, a fisherdwarf and a fish-cleaner. Those bastards. Except for the latter two, I'm essentially in the same dire straits as before, only now with extra mouths to feed. The fishery had to go in the corridor, so hopefully the dwarves don't get too bottle-necked there either.

If only my two pickaxes weren't at the bottom of the river.

Losing MUST be fun. I've abandoned dozens of perfectly good fortresses, yet am compelled to see this through to its grisly end.

TheNoseKnows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 07:56:00 am »

Good luck.
I>Anyone who knows you knows you''re nosey!
Anyone who knows you knows you''re nosier!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 10:00:00 am »

Chances are, if you just keep pushing through, you'll make it.  Forts that don't have a very good setting to start off with tend to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and turn into thriving forts.  Ones that start in the easiest areas eventually fall prey to either boredom or some random cataclysm that causes abandonment.

Dwarves seem to thrive on dire conditions.  That's probably why they have a knack for putting themselves into them...

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 10:06:00 am »

This is why I usually bring one more pick then I have miners.  Stuff like this and also incase one gets stolen.
keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 11:56:00 am »

If anything, the fortresses that you almost lose but manage to pull together seem more fun than if you had not lost them at all.

My recent fortress had discovered a ruin, and I lost three dwarves in the carnage. It was fun watching them run around smacking zombies and skeletons to death with no prior military knowledge and wielding weapons dropped by them. I even wrote a little meh-quality story about it.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 10:47:00 am »

I thought this thread wolds be something like the "you know you have played to much DF when..." thread...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...