Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice with water-trap  (Read 3437 times)

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
Advice with water-trap
« on: July 06, 2016, 10:37:06 am »

I have a trap in my mind, but testing in game don't work.

I want to use water in(or over) Fortification, and flowing in the passage (4 tiles or more), push the invaders to the last tile with a Menacing Spike Trap, and a pump to remove the water.
Something like this.
Code: [Select]
Z+1
OUT IN
 V V
█D█D███
██▼▼█G%%  <-Pump remove water
███████

Z=0
███████
██▲▲^^█
%%╬████
███████
^Pump insert water in the system

X is Wall
G is Grate (over the fortification for more security)
D is Door

I test with my dwarves, but the level rise to fast, and the dwarves cancel the path. I don't know if the flow is enough to pile all the invaders in the trap tiles.

Its possible a continuous trap that sweep the invaders to 1 tile?
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: Advice with water-trap
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 11:44:49 am »

Been a while since I tried this, but from what I recall:
7/7 water means a fortification is freely pathable/passable via swimming/pushing.

That means, if you're pushing water to a fortification, or if there are any fortifications involved, once flooded, the invaders will be able to get right through them.  Moving water will also push the invaders through the fortifications.

Given what you're trying to do, I would instead try and put vertical bars, instead of a wall or fortification, at the end of the hallway to permit water flow, but hopefully block invader flow, and have the water flow form there back into the aquifer or off the map.  in the tile adjacent to the vertical bars, have the upright repeating spike trap.

So, top down view it goes pump, tile, tile, upright spike, vertical bars, drain-grate. (presuming the goblins enter the hallway on those two tiles, somehow, from west to east/left to right.)
═══════
%%++│‼#
═══════

Downside is, building destroyers can and will destroy the bars, so keep that in mind if they can path there.

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 12:10:56 pm »

I think in and alternative design with the pump in Z+1, and a grate over the fortification. But the problem is the water flow.
I read that water "teleport" across 7/7 water without flow.

I think a new design can put all enemies in the same tile with a pressure plate to limit the flow before the fortification is at 7/7.
═══════════
%%^╬▲▲╬^
═══════════
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 01:09:50 pm »

Given what you're trying to do, I would instead try and put vertical bars, instead of a wall or fortification, at the end of the hallway to permit water flow, but hopefully block invader flow, and have the water flow form there back into the aquifer or off the map.
Wiki states they work like fortifications, and I just tested it in 42.06 that they likewise do get pushed through by sealing a dwarf inside a 3x3 with walls on the sides and  floor ceiling (in case of climbing), 1 place standing room and vertical bars for water entry/exit from pump - the dwarf sure got pushed outside of box.

Of course, if the invaders can reach the pump through it's water pushing, the design isn't exactly functional anyway.

That said, I have a guess that submerged statues should be unpathable - so perhaps a setup of Fortification, statue, fortification would be building-destroyer safe.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 02:07:08 pm »

Hm, well that's no good. :)  How about a wall grate? I know a floor grate blocks bodies but permits liquid flow.. hm, wiki says nope.

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 03:36:03 pm »

The new trap work well. The tile has 5 Dwarves, a horse, a cat, and a little splatter of turkey blood in the walls???.
No dangerous terrain spam.

≈≈≈R^╬▲▲╬^R   <-Raise bridge for dump corpse and collect goblinite.

R is Raise Bridge, connected to water (in my case the ocean).
In Z+1, 2 doors in diagonal with the ramp.

The presure limiter (diagonal walls) between the water and the bridge work great, no more teleporting water.
The pressure plate activate to water 0-3 have a little problem, i think is the time between activations and the reseting of the signal. The bridge closed and never open again, i need to open with the lever to work again.
As extra point, the same pressure plate can activate the Spike trap, and closing the bridge with a lever stop the trap.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 03:38:16 pm by Luriant »
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 07:24:57 pm »

So, from what I understand, you are trying to have some goblins or whatnot in a corridor, and use water to sweep them into some kind of trap or off a cliff or some such?

If so, You will want some kind of renewable or very large water source, like a river, lake, or aquifer. It should be situated above the water system in question. This removes the need for a closed pump system. If this is not available, the following concept for safe pipes still works, but you'll want to pump water into the upper reservoir. Anyway, floor grates are in fact indestructible from below. They can also be retracted by lever. I also always always recommend putting drains into the pipes. If something dies in there or an otherwise valuable object gets locked in, you can get it out.

Spoiler: check it out (click to show/hide)

I would personally have a pressure plate that locks the enemy in question into the right section of hallway, maybe via raising bridges (which act as walls when raised), but have the trap itself operated by lever at a safe distance.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 09:00:45 am »

I want a efficient trap that uses the less weapons, for kill unlimited monsters, a trap that afect TRAPAVOID, BUILDINGDESTROYER:2, flying, reanimated corpse, and heavy creatures that path in my fortress.
I think only magma/fire FB/titan, that convert water in steam, are inmune to my trap, that uses 1 steel ingot for the menacing spike that can pierce all materials (except Candy armor, that the game don't generate in enemies).

Using Diagonal ramp door prevent Destroyers (tested with clowns), and ¿thieves? (planned testing) for entry, and sweep all the creatures to the fortification give space for more (in case of big siege).
And a non-grazer as spotter (in the grate above the trap).

I need to test Door/Hatch for the water, the activation is instantaneous.
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 09:11:10 am »

If you're using water-based repeater I recommend trying to use floodgates, doors or hatches as opposed to bridges to have less of a FPS penalty.

However, I do not understand what the diagonal door is for?

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 03:30:07 pm »

The dwarves (and other creatures) can path in diagonal using a ramp, to a door in the upper level.
But building destroyers can't destroy the door, because the ramp don't have walkable space in the same Z level as the door. (tested with spoiler).

I test with Diagonal stairs and door, and the downstair in the same level of the door permit the destruction of the door.

The problem with the door is that the enemies wait in the outside. Because i can't build traps in up ramp, i need something kill the enemies or move to another zone.
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 04:46:11 pm »

Ah. I assumed the water flow was sufficient to push them back from going inwards towards the heart of the fortress.

I guess the only remaining category that needs additional attention is trapavoid, for such beings do not trigger pressure plates for water flow - you either have to order the triggering of trap when they come, or have special traps for them (they're few in number, thankfully).

Beyond that, trade caravans need a separate path I guess.

I must say, I like how compact your trap is otherwise though.