Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fortress plumbing  (Read 5200 times)

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress plumbing
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 07:23:19 pm »

most of the useful/cool things have been mentioned already, but i havent seen anyone mention making a water source for your hospital.

making clean water accessible inside of your hospital zone will mean the doctors/nurses spend less time getting water to UristMcBloodFountianTheGushing to clean out his wounds, meaning that he can get into butchery surgery faster and have a better chance at not dying.

personally i like to put a water source under grates right in the middle of the hospital zone, though if you want to get fancy you can make a waterfall that leads through a river inside of your hospital to give happy thoughts to your injured dwarves
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 08:17:19 pm »

most of the useful/cool things have been mentioned already, but i havent seen anyone mention making a water source for your hospital.

making clean water accessible inside of your hospital zone will mean the doctors/nurses spend less time getting water to UristMcBloodFountianTheGushing to clean out his wounds, meaning that he can get into butchery surgery faster and have a better chance at not dying.

personally i like to put a water source under grates right in the middle of the hospital zone, though if you want to get fancy you can make a waterfall that leads through a river inside of your hospital to give happy thoughts to your injured dwarves

My waterworks pictured has a pipe to the hospital, it was the reason I built it when I did :3

I usually use a well, but that doesn't really matter.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 09:21:58 pm »

~snip~

I always plumb my hospitals. Its actually quite important. Usually having wells available within 1 tile of every bed or traction bench.

Ive also made a few hospitals that included a misting system to wash all the patients. (It gives a great happy thought to all the mangled occupants to boot).

I also plumb my jails. As ive lost a few good dwarves to justice stupidity. (Though since then i make sure there are stockpiles in each cell beingfed by the jail supply, which pulls off of the main dining hall supply. Basically, if the jail has no food or drink, noone has food or drink)

I have considered befor making it so each dwarf's room had well access before. But havent had the ability to rip up half the living floors to make one. It is something i'm considering for a new fort though.

Past that though, ive done a fort before that the whole area encompassed by my walls had rasing bridges on it. The top of the fort had a large resovior of water (later magma). And when seiges happend. The lever to close the roof was pulled, and the water released, watch as everyone gets swept away, usually into a couple of 20z deep trenches that drained into the caverns.

Had a few mist generating fountains built into dining halls and entryways.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 02:19:53 am »

Yeah, the levels under my hospitals are almost always a 2z cistern, with wells in the hospital itself, to speed cleaning and ensure clean water is used.

I haven't bothered plumbing my prisons, but I do put food/drink stockpiles in each cell. The only issue is that dorfs seem to really like stealing prisoners' food instead of eating food that's actually stored in the dining hall/tavern.

I've tried color-coding my levers and such, but the problem is everything inevitably ends up either green (vomit) or red (mud), sooner or later. Proximity works well enough for some applications, but experience has taught me that sometimes, putting the lever near what it controls means putting it too far away for quick response in the case of emergencies or mistakes. Notes are your friend.

Oh, and don't forget to keep your cisterns and plumbing away from any place where military dorfs will be sparring. They can and will tackle each other through walls to drown in them.
Pages: 1 [2]