Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm looking for 6 good dwarves.  (Read 1341 times)

Mad Jackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm looking for 6 good dwarves.
« on: October 26, 2007, 10:58:00 pm »

I recently flooded my last fortress like a newbie, (though I've figured out what I did wrong) so I'm starting a whole new world.

I've decided to give this random challenge thing a try. To break from my monontonous starts. I'm asking for help setting up the start.

I'll take the 1st 6 people to sign up for the dwarves to start with me.

Word of warning. This is a more selfish endeavor. I don't have too big of plans to post lots of updates, and I have no idea how to take or post the screen shots...

But this is a chance to be a bit creative if you want.
"Rules"

I have 100 points for the pick and 100 points for the axe plus some for contingency. I'll pick my profession and packages last.

So each dwarf gets 70 points to spend on skills and supplies.

As I want to attract a miner and a lumberjack the pick and axe go to the 1st of each to sign up on top of thier 70 points. If no one else takes those jobs I might put both on my dwarf...

And. as I do want help and am not offering a ton in return I'll take 2 requests for each of you. (Plus you get nick naming rights of course.)

I'll entertain discussion on where we settle and take sign-ups for naming of immigrants, but I can't promise I'll settle "anywhere"..

Thanks in advance.

an''t catch me!

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm looking for 6 good dwarves.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 11:04:00 pm »

Make my dwarf a Proficient cook (35 points) and a proficient Brewer (35 points) total 70.  You always need a master brewer/chef.

Thats all for me.

EDIT: oh, a name.  How about Ånkaseth the master chef. As for demands, I want a coffin in my bedroom so I can eventually be buried in it.  And items of my dwarf's liking (one of each thing in its likes in its profile) in the bedroom/tomb.

And a third demand if I must, remap your keyboard so you can type the Åå character (set for US-International and press ctrl+alt+(shift)+w), but you are not obligated to honor this request.  Just replace the "Å" with "Aa" to make Aankaseth if you must.

[ October 27, 2007: Message edited by: Klokjammer ]

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Sedil Locunad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 12:12:00 am »

I would like to be a Skilled Grower, a Skilled Herbalist, and a Competent Animal Trainer.

As for demands, let's see now...  If you happen to have Harpies on the map and it is possible to catch and tame them, I'd like to have one as a pet(Hopefully sans any casualties).  Dunno why, just always interesting in them.  If not, whatever cool -exotic if you have the dungeon master- creature I can tame as a pet.  Heck, throw me out there to set up the traps if you want.

Oh, and my dwarf's name is to be Tenshi.

quot;What am I?  ...Sorry, can''t answer what I don''t know."
-My Character

Trivia - My current online name is a dwarven translation of my regular online moniker.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 12:24:00 am »

Peti Tegi the Dwarf reporting; I'll take Miner and engraver, and I want to have all my furnature in Basalt, failing that, Granite. Finally, if possible, My room should have fortifications overlooking the chasm. I think that these Forum Fortresses are teh sweat. I've got to get one of these going someday.

Edit; make that 35 points each for the skills, and get me a cat. You can spend the rest as necessary.

[ October 27, 2007: Message edited by: PTTG?? ]

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 12:28:00 am »

Ok I'll join.

Wood cutter 11
novice carpenter 5
wrestler 11
axedwarf 11

dog 16

dimple cup spawn*5 5
turtle*2 4
Lye 5
Dwarven beer 2

I'd like a full apartment (bedroom/office/diningroom) made out of whatever materials my dwarf has as preferances or clear glass.

I'd also request a pack of wardogs assigned to me.

[ October 27, 2007: Message edited by: Metalax ]

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 02:20:00 am »

Aww, mining is already taken?

Okay then...
Novice Building designer: 5
Activated Stonecrafter: 0
Novice Mason: 5
Novice Glassmaker: 5

And 55 points of food (at least a couple turtles), seeds, and/or drink, whatever is most needed.

As to requests, I'd like some green glass furniture after things are ready (I'll wait for a magma glass furnace if wood is scarce!), and a caged fairy for a pet if we somehow end up on a map with fairies. If there are no fairies, maybe a fire snake from the magma? Or a tame elephant pet? *gets drowned*

Edit: Unless, of course, my dwarf dislikes [available pet] or green glass.

[ October 27, 2007: Message edited by: Sparksol ]

Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 03:32:00 am »

Prof engraver(35)/prof swordsdwarf(35)

Demand 1: Updates with pictures.
Demand 2: Obsidian blade, masterwork preffred.

Name: Asehujiko

[ October 27, 2007: Message edited by: Asehujiko ]

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Mu.

• Bay Watcher
  • Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 06:46:00 am »

Bringing five barrels, rest of points in wrestling.

Demand: Fine quarters
Demand: Caged goblin in bedroom

Name: Donkeykong

Mad Jackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 09:08:00 am »

quote:
Aankaseth will come. I am a Proficient cook and a proficient Brewer.  You always need a master brewer/chef.  

This is a good start I thought to my fortress. Welcome along.

quote:
Tenshi would like to come too. I am a Skilled Grower, a Skilled Herbalist, and a Competent Animal Trainer.

Ah yes, this is also good. I can see the pair of you making the fortress grow. Welcome along.

quote:
Peti Tegi the Dwarf reporting; I am a Proficient Miner and a Proficient Engraver.

Yes, we'll need a miner, your pick is over there. Welcome along.

quote:
You should include Metalax. I am a Novice Carpenter, a Wrestler, an Axedwarf, and a Wood Cutter. If you take me I'll bring my dog, 5 dimple cup spawn, two turtle, a lye, and 2 dwarven beer.

Finally some-one who wants to bring provisions. I have an axe for you and we'll train your dog 1st thing when we get there. Welcome along.

quote:
I am Sparksol. Naught but a humble dwarf. Novice only in Building Design, Masonry and Glassmaking, but I have lots of coins for provisions. As long as I get at least two turtles you may use the rest freely.

What's that?  Coin for provisions you say? Yes, Yes, I think I know what I can do with those. Welcome along.

quote:
I am Asehujiko, you will need me for more protection. Not only am I a Proficient Engraver I am also a Proficient Swordsdwarf. Take me as your 6th companion.  

Ah yes, I don't know really when we'll have time to engrave, but I know that a fortress always needs a good obsidian weilding blademan. With the warning that you might fall on that blade should too many updates be demanded, Welcome along.  :)

quote:
Me Donkeykong, I have barrells. Lots of barrels. 5 of them. Taking me will be a wrestling barrell of monkeys.

I can not argue with a pitch like that. I'll send you along and join you myself in the summer as the Metalsmith. I'd have preferred there be food in them, but we'll fill those barrels with wine when we get there. Welcome along.

Lets see. 55 coins and my contingency money leaves us with:
2 more turtle per request.
A Gazelle meat.
15 plump helmuts to brew into Wine.
a Plump Helmut spawn to use the last coin.
plus the above mentioned
2 turtles
2 beer
1 Lye
5 dimple cup spawn
and 5 tower cap barrels.

This will be so very different from my usual start. I hope we make it. I do promise to post when cool things happen to your dwarves.

Thanks for all the help.

an''t catch me!

Mu.

• Bay Watcher
  • Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 09:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jackal:
<STRONG>I'll send you along and join you myself in the summer as the Metalsmith.</STRONG>

Kong is strong, like ox, but he no quite so good at count number.