Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chronicle: Runescape Legends. F2P card game from Jagex  (Read 955 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Chronicle: Runescape Legends. F2P card game from Jagex
« on: June 23, 2016, 12:34:56 pm »

I started playing Chronicle a couple of months back after seeing a sponsored stream, and I ended up enjoying it a lot. While the general F2P model of the game is very similar to Hearthstone the actual gameplay is something quite unique.

The idea is basically that instead of getting creatures to fight for you you're setting up your own adventure, 4 cards at a time. The cards you play are creatures that give you rewards when you beat them and "support" cards which give you rewards in exchange for gold. Then at the end you have a fight with your opponent to see who's stronger. Or alternatively you can try and kill them before it comes to that, or interfere with their adventure to try and cause them problems.

I think it's definitely worth a shot since it's free, and I found the basic set to be surprisingly interesting from a deckbuilding perspective. As I said the F2P model is very similar to Hearthstone - you earn in-game currency to spend on packs by doing daily quests and winning games, or you can spend real money to buy premium currency that also buys packs or cosmetic features. You can't trade cards with other players, instead you turn your redundant cards into crafting materials to make other ones. There's also a draft mode that can be very profitable once you get the hang of it (it's how I've managed to avoid spending any money on the game).

Some advice:
- You should try and complete all the fights under Solo. When you complete all five fights for a given a difficulty level you get a free pack. This should also give you some idea of how the game plays.
- You unlock all the basic cards for a legend once you get them to level 6. There are actually some pretty important cards in there (eg Gorge in Vanescula) so you should probably level up before you try to play Ranked. You also get some goodies at levels 5, 10 and 15.

Links:
https://www.rschronicle.com/
The official website, you can also get the game on Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlfAYCup9fDAAzDl-CpAgdv2X2cgwdk5Q
A playlist by Jaggerous with some nice videos for getting you started. The first video also serves as a good introduction to the game and the rules. Note that some cards have been changed since the earlier videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3ZqFbpwxyp-sseip6nD9Iw/videos
The channel of one of the main developers. He has some content for new players. His crafting guides are a bit suss in places though (don't craft Mej-Kah).

https://discordapp.com/invite/0hPykN0SMn6yNrTm#chat
The Discord channel for the game. A lot of good players tend to hang out in there and they're usually pretty helpful. Another neat thing is that most of the developers for the game tend to hang out there (and on the subreddit) and are usually pretty open when it comes to talking about their future plans.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ktd5LScTKBEuYyFVDHZadV30fEsoqKyI-cIhILJoeB0/edit#gid=1105990296
A guide and card tierlist for Dungeoneering, the draft mode.

http://chronicle.gamepedia.com/Chronicle:_RuneScape_Legends_Wiki
The official wiki. Contains info on all the cards. Very useful if your opponent plays a spellbook and you can't remember what all the spells do.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chronicle: Runescape Legends. F2P card game from Jagex
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 01:16:28 pm »

Sounds interesting.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 01:19:20 pm »

I would highly recommend this game, I've been playing a lot recently and it's very fun.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 04:01:32 pm »

I was always partial to the Runescape lore even when the game went to shit, and this looks like an enjoyable spin on the CCG formula. Thanks for the heads up, Leafsnail, I'll check it out.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 06:44:42 pm »

It's been a good while since I've played Runescape but I do at least get some of the references. I think that's partly because they have some cards that are aimed at the "oldschool" 2007 server.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 06:52:06 pm »

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 12:13:22 am »

This is quite fun! It reminds me of Libertalia (which you can play here).
 Today I learned of the so called "AP grief" strategy - reducing your opponents attack power early in the game to throw a spanner in the works, so that suddenly those rats, goblins and wolves you had planned to ruthlessly despatch instead give you a sound thrashing. Linza is the biggest offender, I ran into a chapter 1 card 2 dust devil in 3 games out of 4 against her today (including one whilst dungeoneering ie. draft). Definitely something to be aware of and play around.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 12:16:01 am by baruk »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 06:43:59 am »

Yeah, that's the most popular kind of Linza deck as you reach high ranks so you need to watch out for it. The idea is basically to try and keep the opponent on 1AP so they can't do much, then to heal a lot and win in the final fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUSScW4U4fg
A lot of the time I think it's correct to fire off your weapon destruction effects blindly (eg on their first slot) to try and deny their Dust Devil or Fremmenik Crafter. Another interesting trick is that if you exhaust yourself at exactly the right time (eg with Greater Demon) their AP reduction effects will actually miss.

e: other AP grief to watch out for:
Ozan: Hope Devourer is big but surprisingly killable thanks to the armour reward. They may go for a risky weapon play to kill it chapter 1.
Vanescula: Treus Dayth is popular and some Vanesculas will tank a tonne of damage from it to take away 1AP early.
Ariane: Stagger isn't that common but you occasionally see it.
Raptor: Has basically no way to reduce your AP.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:46:32 am by Leafsnail »