Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blocked floodgate?  (Read 2388 times)

smeehrrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blocked floodgate?
« on: October 22, 2007, 02:38:00 pm »

My dwarves have helpfully piled a bunch of slate on top of one of my open floodgates, which now prevents it from being closed.  When this happens with a door, I usually just deconstruct the door and build it again, but that isn't an option with the floodgate because of the channel it leaves behind.  Anyone have any suggestions on getting rid of the blocking stone?

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blocked floodgate?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 02:53:00 pm »

You could place a catapult or craftdwarf's (or mason or mechanic) shop nearby to eat up the stone.

You could deconstruct the gate, use granite.exe on the tile to turn the channel into a wall, then re-mine the tile (thus making it a clean tile) and re-install the floodgate.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 04:12:00 pm »

Granite.exe is not capable of "cleaning" channel tiles, as channels can only be removed with a cave-in!

Since your dwarves piled stone onto the tile, it should be safe to assume the channel isn't full of water /lava. So, just create a stone stockpile and haul the crap away or a mechanics workshop and make some mechanisms.
Otherwise, wait for a river flood to push the stone out of the way.

Else, consider the floodgate a write-off

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 04:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>Granite.exe is not capable of "cleaning" channel tiles, as channels can only be removed with a cave-in!</STRONG>

Are you absolutely sure? I've removed a channel left behind by a well with Granite.exe - There was no channel there, but perhaps it was merely unseen but still acting as though it were a channel?

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 05:38:00 pm »

there is two kind of channels :
- the "brand new" kind of channel considered as a building and able to be turned to a pond
- the "used" channel, muddied once, and now considered as a floor feature.

Granite.exe can't remove the first type, but can refill the second... I already flooded half of my current fortress just to muddy an unwanted channel  :)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 07:22:00 pm »

you can build a mason's shop near it and make a ton of rock blocks, hopefully he will grab the ones blocking the floodgate!
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

smeehrrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 03:07:00 pm »

The mason's shop technique worked like a charm.  Thanks everyone for all the tips.