Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Encrusted goblets?  (Read 2162 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Encrusted goblets?
« on: June 27, 2016, 01:29:38 pm »

Sorry for the logistics question, but what is the best way to ensure that goblets get encrusted before use?

I have the stockpiles mapped out for cut gems and goblets, but they get snatched up and used before I can get the gems on them, then they are left in the drink stockpile... by the time a dwarf brings it back, the jeweler doesn't have time to grab it before someone else snatches it and takes it to the tavern or stockpile and the cycle repeats.  I'd like to use some of the three million cut gems I have lying around to make them prettier, but I can't figure out how to make it work consistently.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Encrusted goblets?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 01:35:38 pm »

With a tavern, chest, and maybe tavern keeper; the location should have a max of usable goblets, i.e. 5. 

Does this mean, making goblet #6 sets this goblet as non-usable since the tavern with the drink stockpile already has 5 designated?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 01:55:04 pm »

No. The 5 goblets in the tavern are reserved for use by the employed serial killers. Any "utility" drinking is done using goblets not reserved for killing. Dorfs thus frequently go to a stockpile, pick up a goblet, walks to a barrel, drinks, and drops the goblet. Sometimes goblets are returned to stockpiles, sometimes the next drinker picks a goblet up from the floor.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 02:23:02 pm »

I think the simplest solution would be to wall the jeweler in with the goblets.

You could also spam cheap goblets and drop them all over the fortress, so that dwarves would be less likely to grab the gold ones. Once those are encrusted, sell cheap ones to caravans.

Do dwarves actually enjoy drinking from an encrusted/lovely material/valuable goblet, though?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 03:28:29 pm »

I don't think they care one way or another, unless its masterwork and they have a goblet fetish. "Urist McPervsOnCups admired a splendid goblet recently."  It's just something that I would like to do as more "dorfy".  God knows I don't have any other use for the damn gems.

One of the ways I keep the game interesting is with challenges and also with RPing "if I were a dwarf in this fort, what would I like?" and then doing that.  For example, in my current fort I have a suite prepared for the king to come which contains statues of each of his illustrious predecessors doing something which indicates what they were famous for/known for.  The one who made a physics discovery is raising a codex, the one who became obsessed with his own mortality is contemplating corpses, etc.  They don't care, but it makes the fort cooler to me  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 03:48:18 pm »

Depending on your gem surplus you could just brute force it. Make a large excess of goblets put the encrust job on repeat and the law of averages says if you have more goblets than dwarves they should all pass through the gem workshop at some point.

Except obviously the seven your blacksmith with the goblet fetish is hoarding in his room.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 03:49:39 pm »

Gold emerald-encrusted goblets are pretty fantasycal, indeed, and Archcrystals's gems encrusted with pages of gems is just stupendous, however it is somewhat difficult to get them to look at non-furniture.

Alas, for dwarves personally at least they care about mechanisms with spikes (spokes?) of diamonds, and about statues of anything.

For art of overseering, one thing I've been contemplating recently is using color for pictures without modifying the layouts. Sure, the dining/sleeping hall may have the chairs and tables in neat orderly rows that from the ground appear randomly colored....but from above, you can have the symbol of dwarven civilization in gold and fuschia, or The Fellowship of Right in teal and cyan (troll blood for coloring the beds?). Minecart tracks can also add detail beyond the standard +s of smoothed floor.