Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Latest Version Will Not Start (Resolved with instructions)  (Read 3284 times)

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Latest Version Will Not Start (Resolved with instructions)
« on: June 20, 2016, 11:02:57 pm »

All,

I downloaded today's version of DF, got it unzipped, and it will not run. The error code I'm getting is, "The program can't start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

So I tried a re-install and got the same error. There are two other MSVCP files (80 and 100) in the folder, but no sign of the 140. I also looked in the zipped file of a fresh download and didn't see the missing file there either.

Is anyone else having this issue? Does anyone know of a work-around?

Edit: I also checked previous versions of the game and found nothing matching that file description in any older zip.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 11:15:43 pm by fearlesslittletoaster »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Version Will Not Start
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 11:11:39 pm »

A lot of people are having trouble with the new version. If you look through the release topic under "DF Announcements" at the top of the board, Toady has posted a couple replacement exe files you can download and try that might fix the problem.

He's probably going to be doing a quick re-release once he's got it working properly for everyone again.

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Version Will Not Start
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 11:13:56 pm »

Actually, after a bit of research (like three minutes) I solved my own problem. I was assuming that something was broken in the game, but in fact it looks like he compiled the new release with something more modern than my 2012 vintage PC running Windows 7 could handle.

Downloading and running these two C++ support packages (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145) from Microsoft resolved the issue, and DF is now running normally.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Version Will Not Start (Resolved with instructions)
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 09:54:48 am »

Theoretically/hypothetically, it should be possible to statically compile in whatever libraries/functions those packages are providing, to avoid putting DF in the same category as every other ridiculous game that requires additional libraries to be manually downloaded.

There's a reason these philosophical debates were addressed over 15 years ago.  Convenience/laziness trumps just about anything else. :)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Version Will Not Start (Resolved with instructions)
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 10:11:27 am »

If those are statically compiled in, then there will be issues with dfhack.  Then we'll see clearly, like how armor breaks now, the camps for the vanilla purist, mod hackers, and lazy newbs packers.