Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The twitters  (Read 6808 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The twitters
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2016, 02:47:07 pm »

They probably want to keep him and his followers from moving to instagram or some other social media plus the guy is a literal walking parody that makes Breitbart even harder to take seriously than it already is.

Still i guess Ken White is right and rather than centralized bias at CEO level it probably was some low level opinionated numbskull that was given too much power and managed to rile people up.

imake sure he and his fans will never stop tweeting about the terrible, terrible oppression they have to endure on a gratis social media service that no-one is forcing them to use.
Well i can't really say why anyone would want to use twitter in the first place. As long as i watch twitter accounts all the popular ones are fringe idiots that invoke Poe's law trolls and septic tanks leaking memes.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2016, 04:29:34 pm »

I follow accounts on twitter like I'm collecting rare trading cards. It's a mixture of memes, nigerians, BLM/SJA, normal people, and people like myself.

I like to think that the problem isn't so much with social media as it is with people. I so far haven't found a single place on this planet (except for several secluded locations) that doesn't have RL shitposting.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2016, 04:49:44 pm »

I mean, yeah, I didn't really use Twitter before, but this just makes me like the twits even less.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2016, 10:31:59 pm »

It's not just conservatives. I think Twitter shadowbans introverts, and people who post unpopular criticism of celebrities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

catleeball

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2016, 02:59:34 pm »

Twitter is really nice for me personally. It covers a lot of bases other social media doesn't, having very specific communities that would be hard to meet otherwise. For me, it's good for:
  • Having a community of queer programmers.
  • Live blogging dwarf fortress runs (streaming doesn't work for me since I play in tiny spurts while working)
  • Asking devs & dev communities questions about programming or their opinions on things
  • Following blogs that post just pictures of cute dogs
  • Very current info on events as they happen
  • Getting news from people and groups / orgs you're interested in
  • Making twitter bots is fun.

Making twitter bots is what got me into it, then I found communities on twitter that would be hard to find elsewhere. Plus a lot of my coworkers use it (and weirdly a lot of people in tech industry in general it seems like).

As for censorship, political views, etc; I try to keep frustrating political tweets out of my feed by not following those folks. And following a healthy amount of dog picture posting robot accounts. Definitely understand why it can be uninteresting or tedious for some people though.

EDIT: If you're interested in following me on there, I'm @C_L_Ball . You can watch my dwarf forts burn down before the first summer.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:01:57 pm by catleeball »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]