Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worldgen Cookbook: Adventurer Mode!  (Read 1349 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Worldgen Cookbook: Adventurer Mode!
« on: June 14, 2016, 10:06:53 am »

So while playing with the interesting finding that a world with a magma sea but no hell layer gives directional volcano behavior (approach going southeast on foot: drained and open to the caverns, approach going other directions on foot: regular volcano tube full of magma) I added it in to my current crazy adventuring world gen. There are still neat spots to embark on with a fort, but I mostly tuned it towards providing an interesting mix of environments, destinations, and so forth to explore and build camps in.

So, with that being said, anyone else have some interesting worldgen settings they like to use for adventuring?

One particular thing I did with this that wouldn't matter in fort mode: painting stripes of high drainage across various parts of the map to break up rivers more often and allow uninterrupted travel.

Hah, "exceeds maximum allowed length (40000 characters)" indeed: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12142

This was made with perfect world, and keep in mind in the map shot below that I have dorfs making towns, so it isn't that their civ is extinct, world gen forts are just awful lagfests which even a packed metropolis is more pleasant to be in.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What are your go-to settings?

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen Cookbook: Adventurer Mode!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 06:04:50 pm »

sometimes i make a world that puts all megabeasts and semimegabeasts in a little island and try to survive as long as possible as an outsider human (no civilizations too) i comonly just take down 5 -10 before a dragon or collossus destroys me
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 07:11:38 pm »

The Vanod method, I can dig it.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 07:21:28 pm »

I haven't used advanced world creation since March. Back then I went for archipelago, medium 129x129, end year 250, -10 to +110 temp, other square counts would vary from default.

Recently just the basic world gen: long history (550 yr), large world, high civ, high site, very high beast, all other settings at default.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 06:05:29 pm »

[NOTE: worldgen recipe won't work without editing dwarves to use CITY as their default site]
Being trapped on a laptop from 2008 tempers everything I do, so, with that in mind..

Here's my most recent (yet always-pocket-island-sized) worldgen setup:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The main changes:
*no site cap (but balanced by 'total civ pop 27')
*reduced cave depth
*messed with cavern layer openness (but not sure if desired effect was achieved)
*4 complete-edge oceans
*no night trolls/bogeymen/megabeasts/semi-megas (the main sources of conflict will be necromancers and kobolds/gobbos)
*enhanced good/evil square count
*lastly, outside of these settings I also make all civs default site type to 'CITY' and turn off most aquifer tags :> Which leads to the next one..
*NO mountain peak, since dwarves can embark anywhere via city due to my changes ;) Sooo ye, this setup probably wouldn't work for fort-maps :o

High elevation rejection, lack of rivers, lack of mountain caves, but after those it gens some nice fragmented island maps :) Leads to a civilization-based world (usually with a good-sized chunk of evil and necromancers) that is CPU friendly and with no stanky mountain range to complicate travel :>

http://imgur.com/QGgHG2w

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 10:59:17 pm »

I totally do the city thing due to world-gen fort lag.