Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I make a swordlike body part's attack as effective as a sword?  (Read 971 times)

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod

I'm making a humanoid creature that has elbow blades. I want the attacks with them to be (almost) as effective as a short sword.

Will this work? Will this creature be able to lop off limbs with their slashes, like a sword can? If not, what do I need to change?
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

You don't need to add an extra body part - if you copy the same system used to make fingernails and stick them on the arms instead, they will be as long as the body part they are attached to.  (The reason why DF fingernails seem unusually dangerous is because the game considers them to be basically stilettos that are as long as the entire finger when calculating damage.)

You can add an extra body part if you want, though you might find them to be more... removable than you like; attacking body parts entirely made out of a hard material with strong blunt weapons will send them flying.  For attacks that use a body part, use the BODYPART token instead of the CHILD_BODYPART_GROUP (ATTACK:SLASH:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:BLADE).

You'll want to either make them out of metal or make a custom material that has the same properties as the metal you want (in my case, bronze).

You can lower the ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC to make the attack 'sharper', but it isn't really necessary.  These guys (using the tissue layer method) can disembowel enemies or hack off heads like it's nobody's business.  As a bonus, butchering them turns their claws into usable weapons automatically.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod

You don't need to add an extra body part - if you copy the same system used to make fingernails and stick them on the arms instead, they will be as long as the body part they are attached to.  (The reason why DF fingernails seem unusually dangerous is because the game considers them to be basically stilettos that are as long as the entire finger when calculating damage.)
I'm not sure what you mean - I've never seen fingernails do anything but bruise a target.
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

I'm not sure what you mean - I've never seen fingernails do anything but bruise a target.

Clothing blocks them well, since fingernail material isn't very hard.  Against bare skin, they often tear into the fat or muscle.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile

No extra bodyparts or even tissues needed! Erm, point was that you can make bodypart attacks pretty effective with just the attack tokens. Using an actually sharp tissue layer (bone, horn, etc) would help though.

Or, if you want a separate bodypart you can make it [EMBEDDED] to at least keep it from being severed. It may still break easily if you only make it out of hard material though.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

I once made it possible to punch people with your brain while testing hidden blades.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!