Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quantum Stockpile problem  (Read 2608 times)

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
Quantum Stockpile problem
« on: May 26, 2016, 07:26:39 pm »

I've been using minecart quantum stockpiles for a little while now. However, I've noticed that in the latest version, dwarves will take from the quantum stockpile and put things back in the normal stockpile. It seems that they won't leave something alone if there are multiple items on the same stockpile tile now. This is obviously not what I want: It just leads to endless loops of dwarves taking from the quantum stockpile, putting things back in the normal stockpile, then load into vehicle jobs. Did I just miss this before, or is this a new problem in the latest version? Has anyone found a way around it?

Just checked, and found that it only seems to be my food stockpiles that have the problem.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:28:44 pm by Kogan Onulsodel »

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quantum Stockpile problem
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 07:50:31 pm »

I never used quantum food stockpiles for reasons I can't recall exactly. At least booze doesn't work so I just use normal stockpile for all kinds of food.

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 08:11:10 pm »

Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do now... I've heard that large quarried areas hurt FPS (because of what it does to pathing), but a couple food stockpiles shouldn't hurt that much, and having half my fort moving food around is WAY too high a price to pay for the tiniest FPS win imaginable.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 08:54:17 pm »

Barrels/pots on a stockpile tile get assigned to that stockpile tile and tend to keep that assignment when moved elsewhere.

This is helpful when you want your alcohol in one place, but not so great when you're using minecarts or water to QSP it.

A low level workaround is for your barrelcarts to not sit on track stops and dump them straight out, instead having to wait till full (25 barrels) at least, deleting and recreating the input stockpile by then.

The tile the cart sits on can also be part of stockpile, of course (even though carts guard against rot by themselves), though be warned, anything in a cart when it is assigned on a route tends to be inaccessible for jobs, an useful safety measure (otherwise, there's no problem storing barrels in carts and then having that cart sit on a stockpile - here, let me just remove that cart from route and assign furniture/booze stockpile beneath it...Linking it and both food stockpile with single seed to kitchen)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PS: I think dwarves can drink from the barrels in that cart, but only one at time - watching over a bit of time sees drink stock drift downwards but also some dwarves going to drink from elsewhere, because they drink in waves. Consider using waterskins anyway.

(A high level workaround would be to make booze production and booze qsp unpathable for dwarves from each other.)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:50:57 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 12:39:24 pm »

Ok, that helps! Thanks!

SomeKif2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 03:17:40 pm »

What is the advantage of using a minecart QSP? I always use garbage dumps and channel one Z-level down.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 03:42:56 pm »

What is the advantage of using a minecart QSP? I always use garbage dumps and channel one Z-level down.
Automated multiple piles. You might want to use your garbage dumps to actually dump stuff.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 10:32:42 pm »

An even simpler workaround is to build your still(s) inside your tavern and disable drinks in all stockpiles. Boom: instant quantum stockpiling with zero hauling effort. For bonus points, if you disable empty barrels in all stockpiles too then your brewer won't need to fetch barrels to brew the next round.