Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: they brought fire  (Read 2055 times)

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
they brought fire
« on: May 20, 2016, 12:20:02 pm »

so first fort in ages, caravan arrives and they bring fire with them
http://imgur.com/YWDcPxe
i hadent noticed that there was a fire until they had all gotten to the trading depot

i have heard of traders bringing magma, but i checked every tile and there was no magma to be found

in the process of getting all my dwarves underground cause the fire is spreading and will reach my fort in about 5 mins of game time (probably a lot longer irl time cause the trees are collapsing and pausing the game)

so anyone have ideas what could have caused this? latest version btw

UPDATE #1: some migrants have arrived just as the entrance to the underground is engulfed in fire
UPDATE #2: fire is over, all of my dwarves are safe but a few of the merchents and their guards didnt make it. when i look at the depot it says "there are no merchants trading right now" so i cant check what they were hauling to see if they brought magma and it either A: caught something on fire but didnt spill. B: some spilled but evaporated moments after starting the fire. or C: they somehow had a caged fire creature (fire man, magma crab, ect) that started it. it probably says that because the merchant died. i might wall off the depot and let them all go insane for later investigation.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 12:53:21 pm by steel jackal »
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: they brought fire
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 12:40:41 pm »

I have no information to provide, but I want to post for further details if there are any. Also, I want to say that I love this part of the game. I am sure the finished game will be even better, but I am sure many including myself will look back fondly on times likes these.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 12:51:36 pm »

It's possible the magma evaporated before you found it. Also possible is a bugged instrument made from a divine material, though I don't actually know if any of those materials can cause fires. What version are you using?

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 12:57:02 pm »

It's possible the magma evaporated before you found it. Also possible is a bugged instrument made from a divine material, though I don't actually know if any of those materials can cause fires. What version are you using?
as said in the OP im using the latest version, and yeah i thought it could have evaporated. im not sure about divine metals interactions with fire, though i do know that artifact wood items will burn forever. ill wall off the merchants and investigate their haul when they die
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 06:29:18 pm »

Can't you just deconstruct the depot?

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 01:52:04 am »

I had exactly the same problem at one stage, there is (somewhere) a thread where I asked much the same questions.

I did notice that it was only when wagons were involved; traders/migrants on foot didn't trigger the problem.  Also, it was mainly human wagons, rarely dwarven.  I wasted hours trying to find the cause, looking not just at incoming stock - searching for magma or !!socks!!, for example - but also at the clothing and personal items of the accompanying retinue.

The results?  I still don't have a clue.

Eventually  I just started telling myself that it was brake failure as the overloaded wagons tried to pull up in my depot after descending the steep ramps leading down...    ;D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 01:58:34 am by Eater of Vermin »
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 05:30:21 pm »

How very bizzare indeed.

All i could think of besides goods being towed by the wagon already being on fire is them taking a fire snake with them and then having it slink away into the faceless vermin counter at map edge. I dont recall fire snakes being extreme exotic pet targets.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 04:34:22 am »

Do fire snakes cause fire? I know they destroy wooden objects (presumably through fire), but would such fire spread?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 07:05:57 am »

Do fire snakes cause fire? I know they destroy wooden objects (presumably through fire), but would such fire spread?

Yep, they spit the stuff out in large amounts, everything short of admantium (and metals presumably now the dragonfire bug has been fixed) will be incinerated by a steady stream of flame. Grass catches fire to spread and it can spread across z levels on trees.

I had a modding raw conflict once that let me embark with some. Not realizing the danger and then summarily realizing they were not contained within cages (to which only admantium ones could hold anyway) they set fire to all my starting supplies, dwarves and livestock melting them to near dust. This instance doesn't seem to be so dramatic, so i wouldn't think so, but i embarked with like 5 fire snakes, the slow burn of one might be able to do it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 07:38:30 am »

Yep, they spit the stuff out in large amounts, everything short of admantium (and metals presumably now the dragonfire bug has been fixed) will be incinerated by a steady stream of flame. Grass catches fire to spread and it can spread across z levels on trees.

I had a modding raw conflict once that let me embark with some. Not realizing the danger and then summarily realizing they were not contained within cages (to which only admantium ones could hold anyway) they set fire to all my starting supplies, dwarves and livestock melting them to near dust. This instance doesn't seem to be so dramatic, so i wouldn't think so, but i embarked with like 5 fire snakes, the slow burn of one might be able to do it.

Er, fire snakes are vermin, and vermon don't "spit" any sort of fire - the only thing they do is destroy wooden items that they 'step' on.
Dragons, on the other hand...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 08:21:01 am »

Er, fire snakes are vermin, and vermon don't "spit" any sort of fire - the only thing they do is destroy wooden items that they 'step' on.
Dragons, on the other hand...

I embarked with a handful of loose snake vermin (vermin with modding access are accessible from embark) and they were passively emitting fire.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Fire_snake

Consulting the wiki, despite the graphical representation of them 'spitting' fire themselves to which i seem to have understood because there was a notable fire effect surrounding each individual, it is instead their internal body heat setting fire to everything else around it as a catalyst that seems to be the case.