Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The fifth year and its questions.  (Read 1013 times)

Artaud

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress <3 Cataclysm: DDA <3 Dungeon Crawl
    • View Profile
    • http://none
The fifth year and its questions.
« on: September 28, 2007, 03:57:00 pm »

Hi everyone.

I am delighted to now be a part of this great community. I have been lurking for the last week, as I just recentely discovered Dwarf Fortress. I've observed how helpful and friendly the members of this forum can be, so I have decided to reach out to you with some questions.

After adding a tileset, I have been playing Dwarf Fortress a great deal, and I have now reached my fifth year. The wiki has been my source of everything, alas, some answers are still unfound.

In no particular order:

1. I have two legendary miners, that no longer hold their picks, hence no longer mine. Yet there are five picks in the a stockpile that they refuse to pick up. I have assigned them with swords, yet told them to hold two weapons (a sword, and a pick), as I am making masterpiece Obsidian short swords. This as a measure to protect my great miners. Yet they will not fetch themselves their picks nor their swords. Any thoughts?

2. As a follow-up question, how do I make sure my dwarves pick up and makes use of a specific item? Such as a specific armor-piece or weapon?

3. I am constructing a great deal of barrels, yet never seem to be able to brew any of my plump helmets, as apparently not a single barrel is empty. How can I make sure one or more of my barrels get used uniqely for brewing?

4. A bunch of items seem to be piled around my fort, such as bolts from killed intruders, and shoes and mittens and so forth. How come nobody picks them up? I have finished goods piles, do I need separate piles for them to be hauled?

5. How does the kitchen work? I mean, what actually happens when I decide to cook a meal? Do I turn some plump helmets into a dish that needs to be eaten quick before it goes bad? And what is this I read about cooking the brew goods, and multiplying your food outcome? Could someone be kind enough to write how just that is done step by step?

6. Is there such a thing as a prison? If so, how is it built by me and my dwarves? Even though I care for all of my minions, the ones that break my bridges need to be punished!

Well, that's all, for now atleast. Greetings from Sweden, and excuse my English.
Thank you Toady, and 3Toe for this great game!

/

Artaud

When the power of love overcomes the love for power, the world will know peace.

oolon1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The fifth year and its questions.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 04:09:00 pm »

1.  Dunno.  More advanced issue.

2.  You can't force them to pick up specific items, but I think if you have them drop their gear, and then position them near the gear you want them to pick up, then toggle their armor back on, they'll do it.

3.  Keep making barrels.  I've had fortresses with hundreds and hundreds of them.  See if that works.

4.  You need clothing, armor, and ammo stockpiles for bolts and shoes and stuff.

5.  The wiki explains this better, but it converts uncooked food into cooked food at a certain ratio, but doesn't leave seeds.  If you brew a plump helmet, you'll get some seeds, and then the seeds can be cooked for meals.  And meals don't go rotten if they're inside on stockpiles.

6.  Make a cage of any kind, make it into a room [r], then turn on "use for justice".

Hope that helps, there are lots around here who can answer better than I can.

Artaud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 04:12:00 pm »

Thanks Oolon1 ! Answered atleast some of them, thanks a great deal! Your name a reference to the Oolon from Dragonball?

How do I make them drop their gear ?

Hmm, cage rooms! That's the way to go.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 04:12:00 pm »

1. I'm not really sure how "pick up weapon" works, but I do know that a: A civilian cannot carry two weapons at once, b: A dwarf will not pick up weapons he is assigned to in the weapons menu unless he is a soldier, c: A dwarf must have mining labor turned on to pick up a pick (a surprising number of people have this problem), and d: A legendary miner with a basic iron pick will act like a legendary speardwarf with a basic copper spear.

2. They generally take the nearest item, so by stationing them over it. Takes a lot of micromanaging and is very annoying.

3. Never let barrels be used in any stockpile except the ones that allow only alcohol.

4. Do haulers have the correct labor turned on? Do you have enough haulers?

5. Brew anything you can and cook alcohol. Read The Wiki.

6. Prisons exist but the justice system is broken. Read The Wiki

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 04:13:00 pm »

1. If you assigned them to be soldiers- which they have to be to pick up swords, IIRC- then they won't do any jobs.

2. You can't order them to do this. The only way to do this is to set their soldier options to use nothing, then lock them in a room with the equipment you want them to pick up and put their soldier options back up to what you want them at.

3. Make sure the place that makes barrels is right next to your brewery, then when you see a carpenter making the barrels start spamming the brewery with "Brew drink" orders.

The problem here is that dwarves are taking a barrel and putting a single plant in it, then when another barrel is made another dwarf takes that and puts a single plant in it, etc.

4. No idea.

5. Cooked food doesn't go bad.

When you take one thing and brew it, it turns into several units of drink.

When you cook something, it takes one or several things and turns it into a larger number of cooked things.

So, let's say when you brew something it turns into 4 units of beer and cooked things take 2 items and turn it into 4 cooked things (this is all arbitrary, not the actual numbers).

If you have 2 plump helmets and cook them right off, you get 4 plump helmet roasts. If you brew them you get 8 beers which turn into 16 plump helmet beer roasts.

Make sense?

6. Yes; built a restraint (silk ropes are the cheapest), turn them into a room, then toggle "Use for justice" on.

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Artaud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 04:19:00 pm »

Wow, thank you everyone. I believe all my questions have been answered. That was real quick!

Pleasure meeting you all, and I'll see you again in other interesting topics! If anything still fails, I'll rebump this topic.

Take care! Have a great weekend!

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »

Arkan has it wrong with the cooking and brewing though.  Brewing one single plant produces 5 units of alcohol, and one seed.  Brewing a stack of 4 plants produces 20 and 4 seeds.

Cooking just adds all the stacks of food used to prepare the meal into one big stack of prepared food.  It won't create more food than it took to make.   For example, if you have a stack of 5 mean, a stack of 4 turtles, and a stack of 3 plump helmets being cooked, then you will end up with a single prepared meal stack of 12.  Plants lose their seeds when they are cooked in this version, so its not suggested that you cook the plant without having processed it into something else first, or if you have a surplus of seeds (200 seeds per plant type is the maximum, all the extra seeds are lost).

oolon1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 04:31:00 pm »

My name is from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 06:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Artaud:
<STRONG>
1. I have two legendary miners, that no longer hold their picks, hence no longer mine. Yet there are five picks in the a stockpile that they refuse to pick up. I have assigned them with swords, yet told them to hold two weapons (a sword, and a pick), as I am making masterpiece Obsidian short swords. This as a measure to protect my great miners. Yet they will not fetch themselves their picks nor their swords. Any thoughts? </STRONG>

Miners (and carpenters) can't use a weapon and a pick at the same time. Don't worry too much though - picks (especially if you make steel ones) are decent weapons (base damage 70, sword is base 100 iirc) and miners will use them in self defense. Picks also run off mining skill, so there is no need to train them in sword use. With no armor, they won't last long vs tough enemies, but legendary miners can fight off alot of ratmen if they get ambushed.

quote:
<STRONG>
2. As a follow-up question, how do I make sure my dwarves pick up and makes use of a specific item? Such as a specific armor-piece or weapon?
</STRONG>

The only way, really, is to either chasm/melt/sell everything you don't want them wearing, then set armor/weapon preferences or make use of custom stockpiles, lock them in a room with the stuff you want them to wear, then set them to use it. It's a bit of a pain, really.

quote:
<STRONG>
3. I am constructing a great deal of barrels, yet never seem to be able to brew any of my plump helmets, as apparently not a single barrel is empty. How can I make sure one or more of my barrels get used uniqely for brewing?</STRONG>

press p to get the stockpile menu, then press / and * to adjust the amount of reserved barrels. reserved barrels will only be used for tasks like brewing and processing to barrel, not for storing food. I find 10 is a good number if you have a decent turnover rate on your barrels. be sure to make a barrel only stockpile near the brewery so you can tell at a glace how many empties you have (and it helps speed up brewing).

quote:
<STRONG>
4. A bunch of items seem to be piled around my fort, such as bolts from killed intruders, and shoes and mittens and so forth. How come nobody picks them up? I have finished goods piles, do I need separate piles for them to be hauled? </STRONG>

bolts go in ammo stockpiles, armor goes in armor stockpiles and weapons go in weapon stockpiles. Mittens and shoes and such are probibly from dwarves swapping clothes - they tend to just drop the old ones wherever. If you build them rooms, then add cabinets to the rooms eventually they will get the store owned item task and pick up all the junk and stuff it in a cabinet.

quote:
<STRONG>
5. How does the kitchen work? I mean, what actually happens when I decide to cook a meal? Do I turn some plump helmets into a dish that needs to be eaten quick before it goes bad? And what is this I read about cooking the brew goods, and multiplying your food outcome? Could someone be kind enough to write how just that is done step by step?</STRONG>

You can cook (almost) any food. just check the kitchen menu, turn cooking on for whatever you want turned into prepared meals, then make a cooking task. the only difference between the types is how many stacks of food are used.

Food will never go bad if it is in a food stockpile, or in a barrel. The advantage of cooking is that it combines multiple stacks and adds quality to it (so dwarves get more happy thoughts from eating it). If you have, say, 4 stacks of 16 elephant meat they will take up 4 slots in your stockpile. cook them into a roast and you get 1 stack of 64 elephant meat roast that takes up 1 slot.

Also, cooking adds each food to each meal - so say you have 1 dwarven syrup and it gets cooked with 3 stacks of elephant meat now you have 49 meals with syrup in them. eating preferred foods makes dwarves happier, so this is a good way to spread around small amounts of uncommon ingredients.

Some foods (like syrup and flour) can only be eaten after being cooked. Also, when you render fat into tallow, the tallow can be cooked into meals getting you more food per animal killed.

As for cooking beer.. meh, I consider it cheating and it's totally unnecessary but whatever. how it works is a plump helmet is 1 food, but brews into 5 drinks. a drink can be cooked like any other food, so brewing the plump helmet then cooking it gives you 5 food instead of 1. you can optionally cook the seeds (be careful not to cook them all) to make even more food.

quote:
<STRONG>
6. Is there such a thing as a prison? If so, how is it built by me and my dwarves? Even though I care for all of my minions, the ones that break my bridges need to be punished!</STRONG>

build either a restraint, or a cage, make a room out of it and set it to be used by justice. once you get the sheriff (he comes when you get 20 dwarves) he will lock up criminals instead of beating them (usually). Note that if you use a restraint, its a good idea to build a bed next to it so dwarves can sleep, otherwise if they get long sentiences they will go insane from lack of sleep before it's over.

also I know you didn't ask, but super bonus tip: build bridges out of lots of 1 tile bridges. it's ugly, and takes alot longer and wastes more bricks but then a tantruming dwarf won't drown anyone else and won't cut off part of your fort.

quote:
<STRONG>
Well, that's all, for now atleast. Greetings from Sweden, and excuse my English.
Thank you Toady, and 3Toe for this great game!

/

Artaud</STRONG>

your english is fine, I had no idea you were not a native speaker till you said something  :p

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Artaud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 09:06:00 pm »

Cheers Toast! Really cleared things up!

Someone responded to the suggestion of one tile bridges with; "I'd rather prevent the tantrums to begin with". I've been trying to keep that as my goal, yet whenever a mood doesn't get the correct items someone breaks a bridge. Heh.

Off I am, to cook some beer. (?) Heh.

SnowWhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 12:49:00 pm »

quote:
1. I have two legendary miners, that no longer hold their picks, hence no longer mine. Yet there are five picks in the a stockpile that they refuse to pick up. I have assigned them with swords, yet told them to hold two weapons (a sword, and a pick), as I am making masterpiece Obsidian short swords. This as a measure to protect my great miners. Yet they will not fetch themselves their picks nor their swords. Any thoughts?  

Please be careful with masterpiece swords!  Dwarves can easily kill each other during sparring with them.  I recommend putting masterpiece swords into weapon traps and giving your swordsdwarves time to get a high skill in wearing armor before trying to give them wickedly sharp obsidian swords.

My (granted somewhat haphazard) attempts to upgrade soldiers' weapons involve:
- either setting them all to unarmed or de-activating their military squads
- waiting a little while for them to put down their weapons
- tasking all the inferior weapons; either by queuing them to go into weapon traps or by queuing them to move goods to the trade depot
- re-activating their squads or setting them to be armed again.  
Unfortunately I haven't been systematic enough to know how well this works; by looking at a few of my military dwarves it helps but isn't certain everyone will upgrade, and some dwarves take a long time to put down their old -weapons-.

quot;...we literally tore a hole in the mountain, and slept in the mud for THREE YEARS while we waited for these tower caps to grow, and you come dancing in here, clutching your grass and berries like you''re Armok''s Sodding Gift To Dwarves, and tell us

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 09:34:00 pm »

If you have the dwarven economy on, dwarves will begin to own some of the items. owned items arent brought to stockpiles, so the only way to get rid of the clutter is to give the owners places to put them.