Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any way to identify magma pools from embark?  (Read 2679 times)

shrike.ex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any way to identify magma pools from embark?
« on: May 11, 2016, 03:59:21 pm »

Pretty simple question. I know you can turn on cave identification on embark, and I was hoping there was a way to turn on magma pool identification too.

Barring that, is there a way to maximize the number of magma pools that generate on worldgen?

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to identify magma pools from embark?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 07:21:14 pm »

A surface magma pool, AKA volcano is visible on the map by default. Does that count?
Akur Akir Akam!

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 11:20:05 am »

Dfhack reveal all. Just make sure you save before you use it because it can jack up your fps.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 05:29:54 pm »

A surface magma pool, AKA volcano is visible on the map by default. Does that count?
That's what I was thinking.  Volcanoes can be seen on the world map.  If you are referring to a magma pipe which extends from the Magma Sea up through a portion of the map, there is no way to tell prior to embark.  Even then, you must use DFHack to reveal the map if you don't want to wait and find it normally.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 06:49:50 pm »

Umm, I think magma tubes are features, so like adamantine spires, and some other features (formerly underground fortresses), they're generated prior to embark, but only for the particular world tile you're looking at.

Should be findable with dfhack prior to embark, but not searchable on a broad scale like site-finder.

Edit: searching...

Yeah, the information might be findable prior to embark in df.global.world.world_data.region_details[0].features

That structure has a lot of the (non-ore) things that can give you "discovered" messages like caverns, caves, adamantine spires, probably the magma sea, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if magma tubes are in there, too, but I haven't messed with it beyond adding extra adamantine spires.

Sorry that answer is more of a research topic than immediately usable.

Edit2:

Here's one person that previously investigated this. I'm not certain they came to a conclusion.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:23:48 pm by gchristopher »