Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS question  (Read 816 times)

elan17

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
FPS question
« on: May 19, 2016, 02:23:32 pm »

Well guys, my fort is dropping down the FPS(an expected thing due my 171 dorfs :P) and im doing some labors that i've read around(traffic areas, reducing production) and i'm constantly at 30 FPS having reached the caverns. But here is my question, I've read that caged dwarfs tend to create lag but is this applied to invaders prisioners? I was planning to build a colisseum but if I kill... I mean set them free and improve my performance I won't complain
Urist cancels Chop Down a Tree: Elves brought some Fun

Pls, consider collaborating on the translation proyect: https://www.transifex.com/dwarf-fortress-translation/

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 02:53:52 pm »

I've never noticed cage animals causing lag, so unless you have a ludicrous amount of invaders, I'd say probably not.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 03:23:15 pm »

Pastured animals randomly moving around (including trying to path through tightly locked doors as per a bug) cause more lagging than animals in cages by the contrary. Animals in cages help reduce lag tremendously in regards to lag management if they are not required to be out and active all the while (such as overpopulation of poultry triggered by mass hatching for instance).

Its most likely the diet requirement strain on dwarves (pathing to fetch water & food suitable for all the dwarves kept inside) that causes the lag rather than the dwarves being inside themselves. Invaders to my own knowledge do not require feeding or watering and goblins in themselves do not eat nor drink anyway (neutral sentient, such as frog-men and other natives may require food & water however).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 03:56:44 am »

It can also be caused by creatures/dwarves stuck in trees or climbing stupidly.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

elan17

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 11:02:57 am »

Thanks all

It can also be caused by creatures/dwarves stuck in trees or climbing stupidly.

I don't think so, i've done a huge deforestation :P
Urist cancels Chop Down a Tree: Elves brought some Fun

Pls, consider collaborating on the translation proyect: https://www.transifex.com/dwarf-fortress-translation/