Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Long-term resident Bard - How to use?  (Read 2700 times)

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Long-term resident Bard - How to use?
« on: May 06, 2016, 11:50:01 pm »

So a dwarven bard petitioned for long-term residence, indicating that he wished to be an entertainer, and I said, "sure, why not", assuming he would simply begin performing his trade in the preexisting tavern. But apparently he came with his own "location", Handledboats, and is permanently assigned to that. "Handledboats" is not a Tavern, Temple or anything else particular, as far as I can tell. Nor can I apparently assign buildings or activity zones it. What do? :-\

Edit:
Okay, I realized Handledboats is actually the name of my fortress, which makes a little more sense, I guess... but not really. It only showed up as a "location" after this guy joined and it doesn't change the fact that I can't assign him to the tavern. So do I just trust that he will entertain my dwarves at some point when he feels like it?

Edit 2:
Oh great I got a bard with "poor focus and little linguistic ability."
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 12:07:22 am by ManaUser »
Akur Akir Akam!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Long-term resident Bard - How to use?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 04:36:21 am »

All petitioners are permanently added to the fortress named location, and can't be allocated to any other location. When your bard petitions to become a citizen (and you accept) you can use him for any labor you want, except any of the location ones. Thus, I accept only bard and scholars (since mercs never petition a second time, and thus never become full citizens). When they've become citizens I assign suitable jobs for them (almost all have gone into the foreign legion squad, which differs from mercs in that the leader is a petitioner).

noirscape

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonic disaster
    • View Profile
    • noirscape.dev
Re: Long-term resident Bard - How to use?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 02:57:32 pm »

All petitioners are permanently added to the fortress named location, and can't be allocated to any other location. When your bard petitions to become a citizen (and you accept) you can use him for any labor you want, except any of the location ones. Thus, I accept only bard and scholars (since mercs never petition a second time, and thus never become full citizens). When they've become citizens I assign suitable jobs for them (almost all have gone into the foreign legion squad, which differs from mercs in that the leader is a petitioner).

Mercs are militia from the start should you accept them.
don't take the above seriously. This is actually a pretty helpful group of people. Welcome to the insane asylum.

*Urist McEnlightened has been found dead, Enlightenment aneurysm.*